Leather on Steering Wheel Rubbing Smooth

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

palmettorover

Reaction score
Has anyone had the leather on the steering wheel start to wear down? Mine has been replaced once and now the second one looks and feels rubbed smooth. I know it has been hot as hell here these past two summers, but ***?

kwlr3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had my first wheel replaced under warranty, the leather was literally disintegrating. Mine is a 2005 and I think this was an issue with all LR's around that time period. The replacement wheel is holding up well but the leather is starting to loose the texture of the grain. I wouldn't call this a defect, just normal wear. It looks like I would expect for a vehicle with just under 100,000 miles and seven years old.

kwlr3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think it was the same pattern. I don't recall the first wheel as having a very grainy feel to it. Certainly the steering wheel and the dash cover are two of the cheapest looking attributes of the LR3 interior. They replaced the plastic dash with a leather dash pad in the LR4 and the center section of the wheel is different, I don't recall if the actual wheel itself is different.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wonder if that leather dash pad can be retro-fit into an LR3...???

churious

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the original wheel in my 05 and the top is rubbing all smooth like this as well.

kwlr3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Re: Leather dash pad

It certainly looks like the leather dash would fit. Most of the LR4 dash is very different from the LR3 but the dash pad looks the same. Of course the part numbers are different so the only people who would know are the guys in a shop that have changed out both. I have already replaced the dash pad under warranty and no doubt it will happen again and I'll look at the LR4 part.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had my first wheel replaced under warranty, the leather was literally disintegrating. Mine is a 2005 and I think this was an issue with all LR's around that time period. The replacement wheel is holding up well but the leather is starting to loose the texture of the grain. I wouldn't call this a defect, just normal wear. It looks like I would expect for a vehicle with just under 100,000 miles and seven years old.

Ditto.

They also replaced my steering wheel center cover (airbag cover) because the top was drying out and curling away from the steering wheel center. Replacement has done the same thing...so in that case it was an issue of replacing with the same bad part.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9