Looking at the LR4 for a family hauler

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From my experience with an LR3, 75K was when I spent about $2000 on front end parts including control arms, tie rods and new front hubs. Well worth it, as it handled so much better with all the new parts.

mi4dub

Reaction score
Id go with ATLAS since it was one of your option. for piece of mind and brand newness :)

Olivy

Reaction score
I always check the kicking tires blog car seat check:
https://www.cars.com/articles/2014/05/2014-land-rover-lr4-car-seat-check/

They could fit 3 seats in the 2nd row and 2 seats in 3rd row but with issues.

If you ever watch Alex ***** (Alex on Autos) car reviews he tests car seats as well. The biggest variable he finds in reviews is the make and model of car seat. Go with the bigger bulky framed Britax seats like we have (three kids) and it is troublesome to fit them.

Wife and I tested almost every crossover and SUV when are family grew from 1 to 3 children. We needed something that fit 3 car seats, a few dogs, grandparents, and a lot of luggage. I did an extended 24 hour test drive of a 2 year old used LR4 which is a great credit to Rocklin CA Land Rover... While I loved many many aspects of the LR4 it came up short in a few points:
1. 2 car seats installed in 2nd row would not allow passenger seat to recline without hitting car seats. Mind you we have bulky car seats and you could easily buy thinner ones.
2. Trunk is miniscule when using the third row.

With all our kids, cargo, family members, and pets it seemed clear that any family road trips would require something bigger. The MDX is even smaller than the LR4 and while it drives nice, that isn't enough with a family. The Volvo XC90 is slightly better room than the LR4 in the trunk but not nearly enough. I also have concerns about Volvo build quality and components QA after the Chinese buyout. When checking it out in person there were some parts that seemed flimsy. The rear hatch latch broke during our test drive! I honestly think the LR4 could be more durable than the Volvo.

The only unibody SUV which seemed roomy enough for our family needs is the Mercedes GL/GLS. While the room was nice the seats were hard. This doesn't help our family members with bad backs. They tested it and couldn't get comfortable. We even tried the upgraded sheep skin seats but they felt like the same foam cushion under the skin.

We used to own a 2007 BMW X5 and it is cramped. It also had severe electrical issues to the point of randomly dying while driving. Never again!

Audi Q7 didn't seem roomy enough for the steep price.

We then went up market in our testing and checked out the full sized body on frame SUVs:
Nissan Armada/Infiniti version
Toyota Land Cruiser/Lexus LX
Ford Expedition/Lincoln Navigator
Chevy Surbuban/GMC Yukon XL Denali
Dodge Durango (actually unibody)

Based on seat and ride comfort, room, third row seat comfort, seating capacity, longer warranty and value we chose the 2015 Lincoln Navigator L (Long) 4x4 base model with sunroof and 22" wheels. While I don't really want such big wheels it is the only way to get electronically dampening suspension.

If I were in the market now in late 2017 the new 2018 ford expedition would be high on our list. It gets the same exact average MPGs as the ford explorer! The loaded XLT model with FX4 off road package looks really nice.

The only issues in 30 months of ownership with the Navigator is a loose interior trim panel (broken clip) and a noise in the ceiling A/C vent (a piece of tape in the ceiling came loose and was flapping in the A/C air flow). Nothing mechanical or electronic.

The Nissan/Infiniti didn't have a very big trunk and I'm concerned for nissan reliability.

The Toyota is a great product but small trunk, poor third row comfort, and front passenger seat didn't recline enough for the Wife.

The Lexus LX570 had better cushions and reclining but same third row comfort / trunk space issues.

Dodge Durango is a narrow vehicle with small trunk, not very much room.

Chevy Suburban has had quality and reliability issues. It wasn't that comfortable and third row comfort is crap. Visibility out the tiny rear hatch window was terrible.

Last edited:

maxx4wd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an lr3 (same body as the LR4) - with 3 car seats but they do not fit in the second row...granted we have very large and wide seats (klek - funf seats or however the hell you call them). This isn't our primary vehicle so its no big deal to squeeze them in for camping trips and day trips but you'll have to find some narrow ones if you have to fit them in the 2nd row...our oldest has since graduated to a booster so it's a non issue for us now...we love our lr3...pulls our popup with everything loaded to the max and has served us well for afew years...some maintenance but if you keep on it it's no more or less than anything else. good luck

You can have rear facing seats but you may have to put your front seats up just a bit...I tend to keep them on the passenger side as it won't inhibit room for the driver...again our seats are large...I only have a couple pics of the seats but I'll include it.

IMG_6952.JPG

IMG_6923.JPG

Last edited:

Bogwhoppit

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My vote goes for the Audi Q7 with a diesel engine, if you are not doing intensive off road. Btw if you go LR4 and take it off road you really don't need the HD package unless you are doing the Rubicon. The road handing, space and mpg of the Audi TDI 19/28mpg can't be beaten - 700+ miles on a full tank easy.

Last edited:

dngvt

Reaction score
I love my ‘13 LR4, and loved the Acura I recently gave to my son. I would agree with those who have said that the LR4 is narrower inside, and if interior space is critical i’d Consider the Acura. And it surely will be the cheapest and easiest to service, and probably need the least servicing.

We use Uptown Motors in the south Bronx, but he used to be based in the upper East Side. They do pickup and drop off cars from manhattan regularly. Andy runs the place. Good guy.

kingspointer

Reaction score
I’ve been dealing on the CPO at the Bennett Jag LR dealership in Allentown PA. It’s CPOed until 9/19 and they will extend to 9/20 for 1450. I found a VW Touareg TDI executive that fits my needs/wants. You should check it out. Ask for John Lacy.

jpjp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We have the Atom Cybex and the Clek Fnoof, I believe they are 2 of the narrowest car seats, one being for infants and the other a convertible. If I were you, I would remove the center seat of the 2nd row to create captains chairs and have the largest/oldest child seat in the 3rd row, as they could theoretically buckle themselves in. The 3rd row is split 50/50 so you would still have some space for items and in a crunch you could even place things in the space between in the 2nd row. This would make it look like a minivan set up... The middle seat is not very difficult to remove, obviously you wouldn't want to be replacing/ taking it out often though. The 3rd row seat does have a lot of space and I personally ride back there whenever were are hauling 6 or 7. (5'11'' and 180lb)

https://www.cars.com/articles/2014/05/2014-land-rover-lr4-car-seat-check/

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Expedition Max (or XL in US speak) is obviously a step up in vehicle size and I agree if you need more space than what a LR4 affords it is a great choice.

canrover

Reaction score
I know that there is an LR4 available with the 5.0 Supercharged engine and if I were you I'd go for that one as it gives PLENTY of power for merging and passing. Best thing to do with all Land Rovers is to get a car that is less than 3 years old so it will come with either a few years left on the factory warranty or the CPO warranty which is a direct extension. These cars are not cheap to maintain and need a lot of TLC. IF you don't like tinkering and getting your hands slightly dirt then this may not be the brand for you.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM