Looking for floor jack recommendations

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was taking off the worn and noisy Cooper Zeon beach tires and putting on a set of new Michelin LTX tires. When jacking up the last tire with my 20 year old Craftsman floor jack, something snapped and it's done.

I always jack in access height, so I figure I need at least 18" of maximum jack height, which is what my Craftsman had. Most of the "top rated" jacks are on Amazon for $150, which means they are the best jacks from China at a reasonable price. But like most of us that bought an LR4, I'm willing to pay more for a better product.

Anybody have any experience with AC Hydraulic jacks? DK20 looks nice for $400 and it's made in Denmark. How about a Hein-Werner 93652 for $500. It's assembled in America, probably with parts from China. Looks like ether would last another 20 years when used 3 times a year.

eljefe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i bought the 3 ton steel floor jack from harbor freight (works great). If you have one close it might be worth it. I looked at better quality but when you add in shipping I just couldnt do it.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I always jack in access height...

Do you really need the extra exercise? :cool: Jacking up from access, normal or off-road height makes no difference to the car - the affected suspension(s) drop as far as they will go regardless - but starting from off-road mode is a little faster, and the car does part of the heavy lifting for you... Plus, it makes it easier to position the jack as you have a bit more headroom to maneuver the head exactly where you want it, especially with the cheapo supplied scissors jack where exact placement is critical, but even with a floor jack. Unless my suspensions have crapped out, I always jack the car starting at off-road height. That's what the manual recommends as well.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll have to try starting in off-road height as well. I remember the first time I jacked up my old LR3...I was amazed at how much travel the rear wheels had and how high I had to jack it to get the tire off the ground.

I read somewhere to lock it in access height then don't completely close a door. Seems like I don't have to lift it as high when I do this but I'll have to try both ways to be sure.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks eljefe, I'll stop by a Harbor Freight and check out their 3 ton jack. You're right...a $99 jack will be just fine when used 3 times a year.

I'm probably overthinking this and considering jacks that automotive shops buy.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With a floor jack, can't you just jack up under the control arms? I've done that plenty of times, in which case you don't need nearly as much lift on the jack. Block of wood, and a couple inches of lift on the jack.

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just looked it up. Jeez, it weighs over 100lbs!

There has to be a happy medium between our crappy scissor jack and this behemoth.

colorover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just bought a 3 ton aluminum Arcan from Amazon. Well built and half the weight of the steel jacks of the same capacity.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0047D2FWM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have also used a Harbor Freight 1.5 ton on my smaller cars for the last 10+ years and it just broke (never used it on the LR for obvious reasons). I think they do fine, just inspect whatever you buy for leaks and *always use jack stands*...

Waterndirt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use a Craftsman 3 ton. Works fine though the max height just barely gets me there. A good sturdy jack for me all around.

I've been toying with a RakJak purchase for some time. http://www.zendextool.com/tbt3l-rakjak/

Max lift tops out at 18", they used to sell a 4" extension kit, not sure where that has gone on their website.

I would keep the hydraulic around for good measure.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM