Looking for volunteers to host my LR3 related info

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am going to shut down NextStepDesigns.com. I have some LR3 related info and articles on that site. Does anyone want to host it themselves? If not, come Oct 1st, it will be gone....

http://blog.nextstepdesigns.com/ (basically, anything under the Land Rover > "LR3 Tips", "Tires", and Mod's" categories is up for grabs.

PM me for contact details

Johnson Rods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You put a lot of work into it and there is some good information there. Sorry to see it go.

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Want to add any of it to your Johnson Rods website?

Johnson Rods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would be honored to have your work live on. I do have a wordpress blog. Not sure how to transfer data if it were to stay in that format.

davidfkon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nathan, thought you said Oct 1st . . . the site does not seem to be responding . . .? Just my connection? ("unable to connect to 218.59.175.89:80 - connection timed out")
Are you keeping http://nwoods.smugmug.com/ live?

gtc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any special software installation required? It's valuable information, and I'd be happy to preserve it; I'm colo'ing several dozen servers right now and can probably find somewhere for it to go - even if I have to go outside our facility and buy a bit hosting space somewhere it would be worthwhile...

SoCal LR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i'm not terribly tech savvy, but can the info just be pasted into posts on this site?

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1. Server is still up, no problems on my end.
2. It's in WordPress version 2.7.1 (pretty out of date, I know)
3. I can export the content to XML for importing into another Wordpress blog, or you can cut and paste pretty easily. The problem with the XML export is that it's the whole blog, not just the LR3 relevant parts, so cutting and pasting might be the preferred way to go.
4. I will also need to send you the images that accompany the posts, as those are hosted elsewhere. So whoever takes this over will need to rebuild the links to the images...manually.
5. The domain name "nextstepdesigns.com" will remain mine, but I am going to discontinue this hosting account. That means old links to the NSD site will break. I'm not sure what can be done about that?
6. I will definitely keep the smugmug site up and running, and will actually turn that into my primary site with a new and improved front end and so forth...eventually.

Johnson, if you wish to host the content, it's yours. GTC, there is no reason why it can't be mirrored elsewhere, but I don't think it's necessary.

gtc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
5. The domain name "nextstepdesigns.com" will remain mine, but I am going to discontinue this hosting account. That means old links to the NSD site will break. I'm not sure what can be done about that?

If you'd be willing to repoint all of the "blog" subdomain over to a new WordPress account, the links could live on - you'd lose "blog.nextstepdesigns.com" for your own personal use, but could obviously still use "www.nextstepdesigns.com" or "blogs.nextstepdesigns.com" or some variation thereof.

If you want to keep "blog.nextstepdesigns.com" for your personal use, it would be pretty tough to maintain the links - they'd likely be overwritten by new blog entries - might make for some rather strange links, though!

If you want to bounce any of the tech related stuff off me, feel free - I'm not a wordpress expert by any stretch, but I've owned a development company in the past (as well as being the chief architect for several decent sized projects) and am fairly fluent in various technologies...

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you'd be willing to repoint all of the "blog" subdomain over to a new WordPress account, the links could live on

Yeah, right after I pushed Submit on my last post, I had pretty much the same idea. So that's what I did. I imported my current NSD site to the new and improved LR3tips blog at Wordpress:

www.lr3tips.wordpress.com

screenshot-web.gif

Now I am looking for content editors, like DuckDive, Horum, Trynian, etc...

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM