LR3 2005 Key from eBay

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
he said he could point me to a guy he uses that can program it much cheaper than the dealership.

His guy can program the immobilizer chip that is used to start the engine? I just don't believe that's possible, unless bputah is ordering the remote from the UK using your VIN, in which case one wonders why they can not just provide you with the whole thing, including the cut key? It's possible to "program" a fob to open the doors remotely, it's possible to cut a key to open your driver door and to turn the ignition to Accessory position. But I still don't think it's possible to start the engine unless your key fob arrives pre-programmed specifically for your car directly from Land Rover. BPUtah used to order the keys from LRUK upon you providing proof of ownership of your car, but they don't do that anymore. There must be a reason.

Trynian

Reaction score
BPUtah used to order the keys from LRUK upon you providing proof of ownership of your car, but they don't do that anymore. There must be a reason.

Yes I remember when they use to require that as well. Maybe something has changed.

Interesting enough I purchased a BBS diagnostic computer for the LR3 and it has a function to program up to 6 keys but I don't know anything about how that part works yet.

thorgal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I heard that You CAN get the blade cut aftermarket,but the transponder must be pre programed to the cars VIN from the factory/Catapliier ,when the key /fob is ordered.The VIN number is used for 2 things:
firstly, to cut the blade,which is made up from a 4 digit number,that determines it's cutting shape.Catpiller enters the vin into Sirus database and it it spits out a 4 digit code,that represents the key shape.They enter that into cutting machine and away it goes...
Secondly,the vin is used to calculate a code which is entered into the transponder head of the key at Catapillier.
Then the dealer tells the BCU to accept the key IF the coded transponder data matches,hence ,why you CAN'T use old key button and just make the blade yourself.
Basically, the dealer use their diagnostic tool to "program" the ECU to recognize the new key fob and cancel all previous fobs on the ecu's record.Thus preventing theft,if the missing key is found by someone other than owner.They should not charge more than 30 min,worth of work. plus the keyfob.
For us,Foultmate owners ,is just a matter of getting a new keyfob,because with BBS tool we can program new key ourselves.Another great feature of MSV 2.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's my understanding as well, therefore I believe that the remote sold online by bputah.com would not be able to start the ignition of any LR3s, even if you were able to cut a blade to match your original key and attach it to the fob. The BBS tool would be useful to enable a valid replacement key (once you receive it programmed for your car from Land Rover), or to disable a lost/stolen key, saving you the hassle and labor charge to get that done at the dealer, pretty nifty.

Last edited:

Trynian

Reaction score
That's my understanding as well, therefore I believe that the remote sold online by bputah.com would not be able to start the ignition of any LR3s, even if you were able to cut a blade to match your original key and attach it to the fob. The BBS tool would be useful to enable a valid replacement key (once you receive it programmed for your car from Land Rover), or to disable a lost/stolen key, saving you the hassle and labor charge to get that done at the dealer, pretty nifty.

It also use to be that when you ordered a key fob from bputah it was suppose to take a couple weeks for it to get here from tha factory where it was coded.

Since they are reputable seller I would just varify the situation more with them to be sure.

calibre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So - bputah does not require a VIN when ordering. He just has a bunch of them in stock.

Thus, based on the people in this thread - bputah is not an option for me.

I need a remote with key that can start my LR3 - and it sounds like I'll have to pony up the $320 at the dealership. Is this the final summary?

Has everyone on this board just used the dealer for a spare key? I have no other options?

Reaction score
Lr3 Key Fob

To those of you who say you cannot start your LR3 without the FOB not working properly: I left one of our keys in my shorts and accidently washed it, and put it through the dryer. This alone killed the remote. Well, I still can lock the truck manually, but when I come back to the truck I have to manually unlock it (alarm goes off) and insert the key in the ignition. Truck still starts up fine. The blade alone starts the truck not the key fob. I demonstrated this to LandRover of Tysons to prove it. So question is, FOBS bought on ebay or where ever ,should be able to be programmed. If you look closely, the FCC #s on all fobs are identical.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635