LR3 Add CarPlay without removing radio

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wheeler

Reaction score
@Nelz99 yes, the included backup camera implementation is fantastic. When the vehicle is in reverse, any streaming audio pauses and the entire screen instantly shows the camera image full frame. The image quality is much better than the (wireless) Garmin BC-30 I had been using for years.

@WestHamPaul This unit comes with a fairly decent, adjustable suction cup mount. To start, I used this factory mount suction cupped to the factory nav screen, which I do not use. In my experience, all the suction cup mounts I have used have eventually failed- and at the worst times. I have used hair dryer heat to try to recondition the suction cups and isopropyl alcohol to assure a clean bond but still have had problems with reliability.

It's unconventional but I decided to temporarily remove the Land Rover factory rubber tray mat and screw down a proper pad mount. I used an Arkon heavy duty drill base mount. If I change my mind, I can fill the two holes and put the rubber tray mat back.

It's interesting, the Road Top 7" screen itself is almost a perfect fit to sit right on top of the factory nav screen- it fits right in - except for the protrusion of the connecting cables on the left side. The connecting cables are (ignition switched) 12 volt power, 3.5mm stereo out to LR AUX in, and the included rearview camera input. But in day to day use, I don't like the display tilted back- I prefer a stable, vertical orientation.
arkon_mount.jpg

Hazer

Reaction score
Looking to add a 7" screen where the factory nav usually is in my 2008 LR3 SE. It didn't have factory nav screen. Compared to previous posts, my wiring is a bit different. Can anyone tell me where I should tap the factory plug (what wire or pin location) to get power to the new 7" car play unit? See the attached pic.

20210108_141650 new.jpg

Also, can someone confirm which wires are the correct aux wires to tap into? Again, my wiring is a bit different so I don't have blue and red. See the pic of the small plug...I think it would be pin location 7,8 and 6 for ground.

20210108_141708 new.jpg

Martin Isaac

Reaction score
These are the speaker level out from the factory amp. I wired directly from my afternarket HU to an amp, then out from the amp to the speaker level outs. Sounds great.
7f5a87c51b0b034b5f47a09a02eb53c7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
d4ce1ba9207eff3accc9d53a024dba52.jpg

Reaction score
Looking to add a 7" screen where the factory nav usually is in my 2008 LR3 SE. It didn't have factory nav screen. Compared to previous posts, my wiring is a bit different. Can anyone tell me where I should tap the factory plug (what wire or pin location) to get power to the new 7" car play unit? See the attached pic.

View attachment 12217

Also, can someone confirm which wires are the correct aux wires to tap into? Again, my wiring is a bit different so I don't have blue and red. See the pic of the small plug...I think it would be pin location 7,8 and 6 for ground.

View attachment 12216
@Hazer did you ever receive any clarification or response to your question here? I have a 2008 LR3 SE (no NAV) and am looking to do the same as you are here.

Nelz99

Reaction score
I installed this android unit recently which uses google maps or other gps navigation you can download from google play plus Android auto using the usb connectivity as well as wifi hotspot from my phone. I can play Iheart Radio or other streaming service while connected to hotspot. It also has built in radio but still use factory harman kardon radio. I connected it to the aux input of the gfactory unit so I retain the use of all steering wheel controls, CD changer, etc.

View attachment 10284

View attachment 10285

View attachment 10286
Did this stereo have aux out? I’m trying to connect mine to the existing Bluetooth aux in already installed on my LR3

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 58

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72