LR3 Damaged by tow truck. Help me identify this part?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ImJimmy

Reaction score
Due to an absurd and poorly marked/communicated overnight parking ban in Chicago (sorry for venting), my LR3 was towed last night. As a result upon picking it up from the impound, I heard a terrible rubbing/grinding sound when I was making a right turn. The same sound was also present when I attempted a left turn.

Clearly the towing company towed the LR3 incorrectly, but upon inspection, it was easy to see what the tires are rubbing on. See the attached photos. Can anybody tell me what that part is, what it will take to repair/replace it, what else I should make sure the mechanic checks for when they look it over and how this damage was likely caused?

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_20131228_150048.jpg
    IMG_20131228_150048.jpg
    890 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_20131228_150037.jpg
    IMG_20131228_150037.jpg
    1,023.2 KB · Views: 29

Belew

Reaction score
Thats a support mount for a side step. It is not a tow point. You can unbolt it from the frame, it's not required. Get a body shop to get a replacement quote and send to tow company or have your insurer take it up with them.

ImJimmy

Reaction score
Thats a support mount for a side step. It is not a tow point. You can unbolt it from the frame, it's not required. Get a body shop to get a replacement quote and send to tow company or have your insurer take it up with them.

Yep. This is definitely it. Think I should just have them removed and go without them and just try to collect on the estimate from the towing company?

Mack73

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not a mount for a side step. They are to protect against the tire moving rearward during an accident and crushing the footwell.

They were bolt on for 05-07. Then switched to a weld on design in 08.

Personally I would just unbolt it and forget about it. Probably more hassle trying to recoup any damages than it is worth.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought I posted about this somewhere else, maybe another forum. I think its actually part of the side impact protection around the door. I wouldn't just remove it if that is the case.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9