1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LR3 from stock to Overlandish?

Discussion in 'LR3' started by ArmyRover, May 2, 2020.

Car Parts
  1. ArmyRover

ArmyRover Full Access Member

Got the ham radio coming.

[​IMG]
    shallow mounting depth should allow for it to be mounted under the factory location for the ash tray. It also covers the grms frequency's as well so I can use it either way on the trail

2. Ruper

Ruper Full Access Member

Couple questions, hope this is not a pain for you.
    No quick answer needed, but I am looking at rock sliders and was wondering what you would recommend? What you have tried and how any different manuf, performed.

Also what model and brand of HAM did you go for? I have a Cobra 40 CH CB that I am going to put in possibly vice the ham but I kind of wanted to go ahead and do the ham.
    I picked up the CB in a yard sale, its an older model but from what I understand it is a good one. Supposedly performs or outperforms models available now.
    Maybe I get some moderate trails under my belt with the rover once I get some protection for the underside.

3. ArmyRover

@Ruper

There are a few options out there but I will focus on the two I have experience with the TerraFirma rock sliders and the Proud Rhino rock sliders.

TerraFirma:

Affordable standard protection for the truck. They cover the sill well and the tree bars will help keep the truck safe from your run of the mill trail hazards. They have saved my sills and doors a couple times. I did come down on them hard enough to fold the tree bar over and pin the door closed. A little creative work got that mostly straight. They are a great price point and they work. They do not however cover the compressor at all. So keep that in mind, if you are on coils not a big deal. Lastly you cannot use them as a jack point they will not take the stress.

Proud Rhino:

Extremely solid full coverage slider. They cover the sill completely and wrap underneath the truck for full coverage. They have the bulge to protect hitachi or AMK compressor. These are strong enough to slam a full loaded LR3 down on a boulder dropping the tire off the ground so you can change the flat and take zero damage.

There is a handsome gentleman doing just that in this article. One hell of a event.

https://outdoorx4.com/stories/vermont-overland-trophy-2015-2/

You can jack the truck up off of these with a high lift. They do cost more but you are getting a lot more.

For the variety of things I do I felt the bulletproof option was best so I upgraded to the Proud Rhino from the TerraFirma. Even on overland adventures I have definitely needed my sliders, during the Red Clay Rally I had the truck sitting on them with my tires doing a teeter totter. Who knows what the trail might hold.

4. ArmyRover

Today we pulled the CB, antenna and antenna cable from my Original LR3, along with the wiring relays etc for the front lights so we can start laying out the electrical. My Dad is back in town and we are isolating of course to be on the safe side. So he will start running wiring etc like this in his free time when my daughter and I aren't there working. So now we have shifts going on this thing lol.

He and I discussed adding a dual battery system so I am going to do a bit of research on that.

Picture of my current LR3 just because it looks so good when it's washed up [​IMG] body damage and all.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]