LR3 in the Sand

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BazLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The rod mod is when you shorten the height sensor rods. look in my album. I make them all the time for guys. Yes dsc is the button is on the dash. It will stay off until you trun it back on or restart the vehicle. Off road height will go back to normal after you go over 30mph. The rod mod raisees you 2" in all modes so when you are in normal mode you have the clearance of stock off road mode. I have been runing it for a few years now. I run stock rods but when I am going to hit the trail I swap them out for the modified ones, it takes 15minutes they just pop off.

IMG_5379.jpg

IMG_5378.jpg

IMG_7186.jpg

IMG_4194.jpg

comparison in off road mode

That is exactly what the Land Cruiser crowd is warning me about given that sometimes one will reuire momentum before going up a steep sand dune which will bring the height down, not good at all. If the mod is that easy, I am definitely interested, do you sell these itesm and do they come with instructions? Your links are not showing for some reason.

jpljpl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is exactly what the Land Cruiser crowd is warning me about given that sometimes one will reuire momentum before going up a steep sand dune which will bring the height down, not good at all. If the mod is that easy, I am definitely interested, do you sell these itesm and do they come with instructions? Your links are not showing for some reason.

If you're going to be bombing up sand dunes at 30+ mph in the LR3, please shoot video!

You have a couple of seconds at that speed as well before the truck lowers too.

This must be a serious dune.

Sounds like fun. :)

drzjoint

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya I sell them. and I include instructions.
pm sent

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry to digress back to some of the OP's statements but I just looked at the specs for the Toyota Land Cruiser and it does NOT have superior approach & departure angles. As a matter of fact, they're significantly worse and it has less ground clearance. The 4-Lo gear ratio is not as good either...and it does not come with a rear locker (even as an option). I'm not sure what your Toyota buddies are talking about....

That said, the rod-mod is still a good way to go for getting even better angles and clearance. Dr. Z does good, timely work. I recommend him.

BazLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys for all of your valuable input, I will give it a shot soon if I can ring it away from my wife and see how it goes. My experience with Toyotas off road has been faultless and they are nearly bomb proof. I will consider Dr. Z's rods subject to my experience. I am just surprised that car does not have the option to override the standard program. We had a Range Rover once with us, and it was absolutely horrible! It was the last time a Land Rover hit the trail, time for another run :) :) :)

jesus_man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It seems everyone assumes the Land Cruisers you speak of are the new generation? If we're talking the older FJ-40's then there are some valid points your friends make. However, I still believe that you should be able to "hang" with these Yota types.

As nwoods blog describes, tires will make a huge different and tire speed is likely the skill you want to hone first. I honestly don't have much sand experience, but I have lots of deep snow experience and a lot of the attributes cross-over between the two. I would like to point out that if forward progress has ceased, get off the throttle! All you're going to do is bog down. Try backing up a little and trying again in a slightly different place. If you can't go anywhere, time to ask for help or find your shovel. (which btw, is a very valuable tool for sand and snow wheeling)

J.D.

BazLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi jesus_man, thanks for your recommendations. I do have lots of experience driving in the very soft sand in both old and recent Toyota cruisers and FJs. Having said that, I have no experience in a Land Rover, either new or old. Tires do make a huge difference and the last thing one needs are the mud/rock tires because they dig in, which, like you said, makes the tire choice very important.

Wife already stating that it is "her car" and will not allow it to be abused :bandit:

jesus_man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tell her it's not being abused, just getting out and stretching it's legs! Sorta like taking a sports car on the track.

J.D.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carbonlink