LR3 not accelerating properly....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Charles123

Reaction score
Bought a certified pre-owned 2009 LR3.
Didn't notice this til a few weeks after purchase, and now months later really bugging me after driving other people's vehicles.

Coming to a stop sign for example, when I hit accelerator, there is a pause before truck kicks into gear. In other words, if i floor the pedal when stopped, car doesn't respond immediately, but then Jumps ahead. This delay is really bothering me.

To "deal" with this, I just push the accelerator lightly til the gear kicks in. Ive driven other cars and trucks, and this is not how theirs responds.

Anyone know what to do about this?
Thanks.

whydahdvr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think it's, depending on how much of a lag, a normal aspect of the LR3's computer controlled acceleration. However, I also had my shop (when under warranty) check out mine and they found that the software was out of date. They did a software update and it ran a lot better. I've learned to deal with it but definitely different and irritating compared to an American (or other) heavy vehicle/truck.

Charles123

Reaction score
Okay, so the problem is still there for ya??

I drive a fire truck for a living, and it would blow away my LR3!......not a joke.

whydahdvr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, my '96 Tahoe accelerates more responsively. I think the lag has to do with the passing accelerator option where it down-shifts and over-revs the engine to give you quick passing acceleration. But if you stomp on the gas pedal it takes a moment to get going, bogs down. I hope someone with more experience/knowledge of these chips in. Our MRAPs in Iraq seemed to accelerate on par with the LR3.

Team Jeff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Try a "hard reset" - disconnect the battery, then connect the positive & negative terminals. I used a jumper cable since the oe cables are not long enough to contact eachother.

To be clear, the battery should not be any part of this procedure.

Leave the cables connected for 10 min. Then reconnect the battery as usual.

blackforestham

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It sounds more like a transmission issue than an acceleration issue. Are you coming to a complete stop EVERY time? The LR does not like "California Stops" or "rolling" stops. There is a software update (ECU flash) for the transmission which should minimize the symptom. Also, use command shift around town to choose the appropriate gear for your speed.

Charles123

Reaction score
Ive used command shift. Even in 1st gear, it does it.
Whether I'm fully stopped or rolling though a stop sign....does it.
Going to bring it to LR, and let everyone know what it was, etc.
Thanks for input

CMGRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine does it a bit, but I don't think it hampers it at all. A bit annoying at first after driving my Jeep (real throttle), but I get used to it quickly.

Charles123

Reaction score
Mine does it a bit, but I don't think it hampers it at all. A bit annoying at first after driving my Jeep (real throttle), but I get used to it quickly.

You're used to it, because it is the vehicle you are driving. But compared to other SUVs, it is really unacceptable to me. Especially a 57k vehicle.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM