LR3 to LR4V8 to LR4SCV6 differences

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LR Tony

Reaction score
It looks like you had LR4s in the past so you know what you are missing. As long as the body is solid I would probably just keep the 08. The mileage isn't very high.

No LR4 is going to be "modern". The last one rolled off the line 5 years ago.

Lost the ‘13 LR4 w/ HD pack to my ex in our divorce. I loved that truck. Picked up the ‘08 LR3 shortly after. Body as well as the paint are still in fantastic condition. Put 50K miles on it, its really been trouble free and reliable.

I noticed the 4.4L is quieter than than the 5.0 which has me wondering if the SCV6 is smoother than the 5.0. Also the other gentleman pointed out the “tightness” of the ‘16 vs ‘12. Perhaps its the age of my ‘08 plus its been years since driving the 5.0 but the LR3 does feel “looser” like it has more body roll, sways or tilts more in turns whereas my memory of the LR4 turned flatter, more stable at highway speeds. That why I was questioning the suspension or perhaps its bushings.

Nechaken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lost the ‘13 LR4 w/ HD pack to my ex in our divorce. I loved that truck. Picked up the ‘08 LR3 shortly after. Body as well as the paint are still in fantastic condition. Put 50K miles on it, its really been trouble free and reliable.

I noticed the 4.4L is quieter than than the 5.0 which has me wondering if the SCV6 is smoother than the 5.0. Also the other gentleman pointed out the “tightness” of the ‘16 vs ‘12. Perhaps its the age of my ‘08 plus its been years since driving the 5.0 but the LR3 does feel “looser” like it has more body roll, sways or tilts more in turns whereas my memory of the LR4 turned flatter, more stable at highway speeds. That why I was questioning the suspension or perhaps its bushings.

5.0 is direct injection which likely makes it louder at idle.

Since the SCV6 is based on the AJ V8, it’s a 90 degree bank angle. Not amazing smooth, a tiny bit of idle shake.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure if the pullout cupholders at the bottom of the center console (on the backside of it, for the 2nd row passengers) qualify as hidden or not, but they are there in LR4s.

I know that streaming audio was offered in MY13 and possibly in '12 also. Prior to that only phone calls were possible via Bluetooth.

Nechaken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure if the pullout cupholders at the bottom of the center console (on the backside of it, for the 2nd row passengers) qualify as hidden or not, but they are there in LR4s.

I know that streaming audio was offered in MY13 and possibly in '12 also. Prior to that only phone calls were possible via Bluetooth.

Owned a '12. Can confirm Bluetooth audio streaming.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score

You are not wrong. With the LR4 LR played with the suspension geometry to give the new model quicker handling and less roll. I prefer the LR3 steering ratio and roll angles as it suits the vehicle and mission more. They quickened and tightened things up to appeal to the pavement crowd. Makes it better to drive as mom drops the kids off at school.

Yes the 4.4 was quieter and smoother. If only it had another 100 HP we wouldn't have needed this 5.0L DI nonsense.

PCJDB

Reaction score
I have a 2016 HSE LUX with the vision assist and HD package. I wanted a 13 with the same options to get the V8 but any LR4 with those options was a needle in a haystack. Finally found the 16 with 60K on it this past year and pulled the trigger. I do notice the lack of torque when towing as other threads will mention between the 2 engines, other then that it's a great daily and pretty smooth shifting.

In regards to suspension handling, I had test driven a 13 LR4 (non HD) and actually thought it's suspension rode a lot firmer/tighter with 100K on the clock vs. my 16 with 60K. So much so, I've been looking at maybe replacing the air shocks really early to see if the struts are shot. I've already done the lower front control arms and that didn't change too much so far.

Or... since I was coming from a Ram 2500 I'm used to things being very stiff with no body roll haha.

jlach993

Full Access Member
Reaction score
5.0 is direct injection which likely makes it louder at idle.

Since the SCV6 is based on the AJ V8, it’s a 90 degree bank angle. Not amazing smooth, a tiny bit of idle shake.
I had motor mounts done on my 2011 lr4 @98k miles. I can rest a glass of water on the engine and it vibrates way less than before.

LR Tony

Reaction score

I can confirm the LR3 (at least my ‘08) has bottom center rear cup holders that slide in and out. I wonder why they deleted the extra hidden one right of the dashboard that slides in/out on the LR4s.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA