LR3 Transfer Case Noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Trav

Reaction score
I stopped by the dealership to have them listen to a gear whine that changes with speed. They replaced a rear axle seal 1000 m ago and i though they didn't top off the fluid. They say it is the transfer case and want $3,000 to replace it with a new one.

The car has 71K street miles so it sounds fishy. they also said the fluid doesnt get changed untill 100K, I have seen 75k on this forum. I'm going to crawn under and see if i can find the fill and see whats in there. Any pointers on finding the filler?

Does anybody have experience with this? Oterwise teh car has been pretty good.

Thanks!

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LR3 has a very weak t/case and if you follow Rovers maintance for 100,000 miles services it is bound to fail.
Better start looking for a new one cause your's most likely is not long for this world.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here you go again, Mike. Any evidence of this? ...because I haven't heard of any T-case failures on the LR3. Not one. TCCM sure...but not the hardware.

whydahdvr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From my own experience I had to have both differentials replaced after hearing gear whine's in them. That was all before 40k miles, but all under warranty. Not sure why but there were metal flakes in the gear oil so the dealership replaced them both while under warranty.
If the differentials can go with 30-35k miles on them then I could see the transfer case doing the same. But you might want a second opinion too.

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here you go again, Mike. Any evidence of this? ...because I haven't heard of any T-case failures on the LR3. Not one. TCCM sure...but not the hardware.

The fact that you don't have the knowledge of what is happening with the LR3's as well as other Rovers that use the same diffs, is not a reason for you to correct me whenever I say something you don't like.
So far with this thread, there are 2 people with the same issues, oh and you with your inexperience, why don't you spend 6 months or so and study up on what you drive and know little about, then if you think you can reply without belittling someone, then start replying with helpful knowledge and first hand experience.

Rogo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The fact that you don't have the knowledge of what is happening with the LR3's as well as other Rovers that use the same diffs, is not a reason for you to correct me whenever I say something you don't like.
So far with this thread, there are 2 people with the same issues, oh and you with your inexperience, why don't you spend 6 months or so and study up on what you drive and know little about, then if you think you can reply without belittling someone, then start replying with helpful knowledge and first hand experience.

You didn't answer the question, Mike. I have not heard of a single mechanical failure of an LR3 t-case either. I don't claim to know of every LR3 out there, but if it happened frequently, I would have probably heard of it by now.

What evidence do you have of a weak t-case that's bound to fail if the oil isn't changed?

Trav

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.
Mike, in your experience as a service manager does this sound reasonable: they road tested the car then put it on a lift and ran it. They confirmed the transfer casewas noisy and worked up an estimate.

I crawled under it last night, quickly located the drainand fill pugs and noticed neither had been removed. I pulled the fill pug and oil came out, so I collected a sample I'm going to send for analysis. Don't you think the dealership should have checked the oil level?

My owners manual says the fluid should be changed every 5 years or 75K mi. The dealership says it isn't due for a long time. Seems to me its a year overdue.

Did I read somewhere on these forums this is the same case used in Toyota Sequoia's? Do they have these issues?

Many thanks, I'll let you all know what the lab says.

Trav

Trav

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. The dealership road tested then ran it on a lift to confirm the t-case. But they didn't check the oil. Seems odd. I pulled a sample last night and am sending it to a lab.

Also the dealership says it isnt due for oil change but the owners manual says 5 yrs or 75k Mi.

I read somewhere these are the some t-cases as in Toyota Sequoia's. if so do they have these issues?

Thanks Trav

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Houm and Rogo,
I don't need to explain my statement to this thread regarding the t/case, when you get 30 plus years of on hand experience with Rovers and other vehicles then maybe we can talk.
In the mean time the LR3 is well know for bad diffs, t/case and bushings, anyone who has been around them knows that as a fact.
Why don't both of you find something else to do besides showing of your lack of mechanical Rover knowledge and immaturity.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So you're saying (without actually citing anything, because why would you need to) you've seen plenty of transfer case failures on LR3s. Good enough for me!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635