LR3 Transfer Case Noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

whydahdvr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just the first 500-1000 miles from new car purchase. Don't burn me at the stake on it! :)
I know that gear oils have changed since 1995....

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Understood. I just got my diffs replaced....about 1000 miles ago.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm no retired service manager or anything, but wouldn't the same logic apply for your new diffs as it would when buying the car new? That said, I've personally never worried about it before.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes; the same logic does apply...that's why I'm going to do it. I think I assumed that it was understood that my diffs were new.

I think I would also not worry about it, except for the history of the LR3's differentials. They could clearly benefit from a flush at 1000 miles! Maybe in this case it saves me from having to worry about them in the future....I plan to keep my LR3 for a long long time.

guss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
oil change

I stopped by the dealership to have them listen to a gear whine that changes with speed. They replaced a rear axle seal 1000 m ago and i though they didn't top off the fluid. They say it is the transfer case and want $3,000 to replace it with a new one.

The car has 71K street miles so it sounds fishy. they also said the fluid doesnt get changed untill 100K, I have seen 75k on this forum. I'm going to crawn under and see if i can find the fill and see whats in there. Any pointers on finding the filler?

Does anybody have experience with this? Oterwise teh car has been pretty good.

Thanks!

I had a 185 thousand on my 05 LR3.Always changed all fluids every 50 Thousand miles including Transmission,Power Steering,Coolant.Never had a problem with ANY Drive line parts or Engine.Still runs like new

guss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
oil change

Yes; the same logic does apply...that's why I'm going to do it. I think I assumed that it was understood that my diffs were new.

I think I would also not worry about it, except for the history of the LR3's differentials. They could clearly benefit from a flush at 1000 miles! Maybe in this case it saves me from having to worry about them in the future....I plan to keep my LR3 for a long long time.

I change all fluids every 50 k.Have 185K on Lr3 now. Have locking differentional real also.NO issues on any

Trav

Reaction score
Oil Report

I got the lab work back from Blackstone. Their analysis shows no signs of the T case needing replacement. So, where to look next? I imagine there are some universal or CV joints where the drive safts leave the T case, how best to test them?

I tried to attach the report but it is too large. Thanks

Trav

Reaction score
analysis

The oil analysis came back reporting no signs of failure seen. The oil had 37,000 m of 'use' in 72K mi. Small amounts of iron and a little moisture.

I presented this infor to the dealer and asked what they thought of the discrepency. After looking at it again, they came to the same conclusion and said the analysis is flawed.

Where should I go for a second opinion? Truck transmission store? AAMCO? Independant LR Mechanic?

Who built the case, ZF? What other vehicles was it used in? I think i saw somehere Toyota Sequoia's used them.

Thanks TD

tomasesto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
tranny?

The oil analysis came back reporting no signs of failure seen. The oil had 37,000 m of 'use' in 72K mi. Small amounts of iron and a little moisture.

I presented this infor to the dealer and asked what they thought of the discrepency. After looking at it again, they came to the same conclusion and said the analysis is flawed.

Where should I go for a second opinion? Truck transmission store? AAMCO? Independant LR Mechanic?

Who built the case, ZF? What other vehicles was it used in? I think i saw somehere Toyota Sequoia's used them.

Thanks TD

I believe ZF is a BMW part? I thought I heard that it at my local dealer once who's tech sed it came from the 7series was applied to the RR and they had been finding that it needed some fortifying to handle the weight and challenge of a full sz 4x4. I think it was back durring the 1st years of mk3 .... not certain though but back when I was thinking of trading my 06 RRS for a older RR and started talking asking about the mk3 driveline. Subsequently my RRS got "Lemoned"

kwlr3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Transfer Case
Make: Magna Steyr (Austria???)
Model: DD295

I have not heard of any t-case failures. My mechanic at the dealer said they have replaced some due to wear of the clutch plates in the limited slip. Even in that case, I suspect they will pressure you to buy a new t-case when a 4x4 control module re-calibration (something that has to be done whenever any part of the t-case is replaced) would take care of the problem.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99