LR3 transfer case : where is the breather located?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crtfour

Reaction score
Hi,

I have an '09 LR3 that I took to the dealer a couple of months ago under warranty for a transfer case leak. They said it was a loose breather a re-tightened it. It's leaking again and I wanted to check the breather, but I got under the truck and can't seem to find it. Maybe it's where I couldn't see it or I'm perhaps looking for the wrong thing. Can you guys give me any help?

I'm an hour from the dealer, so I'd rather try this first.

Thank you,

Rob

CMGRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A breather will look like a mini open element air filter on a tube. I bet it's up pretty high to reduce the risk of water getting in. I might have the FSM, I'll see if it's in there.

crtfour

Reaction score
That's essentially what I was looking for, but I'll get under there and look again. Might be something I just need to feel for.

Rob

blackforestham

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The front breather tube is located towards the front of the vehicle in the engine bay near the coolant expansion tank. The rear breather line is routed up and behind the right, rear wheel well liner. The front is easily serviceable for the modification. I never found the end of the line for the rear. When I cut the front line, it was definitely under pressure which tells me that the breather element was not working at all. All fixed now. I chose to go a different route than the replacement LR breather. I found a tiny k&n breather and modified the mount.

Front Diff Breather.JPG

normal_003 (Copy).JPG

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hammy....you know that LR put out a TSB including a new breather a few years back, right? Supposed to be bigger/better than the old one.

crtfour

Reaction score
Cool thanks for the pictures. So does that one breathe for the center diff as well?

blackforestham

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My bad...TRANSFER CASE...doh! Sorry to waste your time OP. I'm not sure there's even a TC breather?? I was plenty aware of the DIFF TSB but chose to fix things on my own. :ahhhhh:

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ooops....my mistake as well. I was referring to the TSB for the front diff breather.

crtfour

Reaction score
No....no waste of time at all. In fact, I appreciate the info and pictures because now I know where the front & rear breathers are.

I didn't think there was a center breater as well, but dealer documented saying it was loose and tightening it. It looks like the leak is coming from a couple of the housing bolts anyway.

Oh well, it's still under warranty so guess I'll just take it back in.

BendRover123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to provide the picture from the shop manual that shows the breather cartridge in the front housing of the front transfer box (right aft of the transmission) using the LR3 shop manual "308-07A Four-Wheel Drive Systems".

Screen Shot 2020-08-11 at 12.10.06 PM.png

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM