LR3 Transmission Flush and Software Update

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kushan862

Reaction score
Hey guys i have question about Flushing the transmission.Im at 116k and i have done the filter and fluid change at around 90k. I know it might be a little too soon but a regular filter and fluid change doesn't take much of the old fluid anyway. I also have a weird downshift clunk and sometimes the transmission doesn't know which gear to be in?a little sluggish when climbing a hill too.
I wanted to get the software updated but the dealership said i have too many miles for this service.Does this sound normal and has anyone done it at this mileage and have good results?
Has anyone tried the BG transmission flush?

Thanks
Kushan

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay....what service are you being refused? The fluid/filter change? You did it 29k Miles ago, why do it again? I don't know if "we won't do it because it's too many miles" sounds normal but I can tell you that doing it again after 29k Miles isn't normal.

Wait another 21k Miles and find a different dealer. Never done the BG Tranny flush. Never even heard of it. As for your downshift clunk and gear hunting, can you please be more descriptive? Only sort of clunks I have read about is the CA stop clunk in which the transmission sort of gets confused and stuck between 1st and 2nd gear and makes an abrupt slamming into a gear as you slow to a stop but then go again. That was fixed under a vehicle improvement campaign back in about 2007. You might ask them to do that (I think it was called B034) if that matches your symptoms.

I have heard of people discouraging fluid flushes for transmissions already exhibiting slipping symptoms, the theory is that the metallic shavings have become a working part of the fluid, but for trannies that working fine it shouldn't be an issue to change the fluid.

Kushan862

Reaction score
Okay....what service are you being refused? The fluid/filter change? You did it 29k Miles ago, why do it again? I don't know if "we won't do it because it's too many miles" sounds normal but I can tell you that doing it again after 29k Miles isn't normal.

Wait another 21k Miles and find a different dealer. Never done the BG Tranny flush. Never even heard of it. As for your downshift clunk and gear hunting, can you please be more descriptive? Only sort of clunks I have read about is the CA stop clunk in which the transmission sort of gets confused and stuck between 1st and 2nd gear and makes an abrupt slamming into a gear as you slow to a stop but then go again. That was fixed under a vehicle improvement campaign back in about 2007. You might ask them to do that (I think it was called B034) if that matches your symptoms.

I have heard of people discouraging fluid flushes for transmissions already exhibiting slipping symptoms, the theory is that the metallic shavings have become a working part of the fluid, but for trannies that working fine it shouldn't be an issue to change the fluid.

i was refused a transmission software update as i have too many miles according to them.I told them about the downshift clunk when coming to a stop and the transmission seems lazy around 40mph to 55mph but they told me to live with it. I wanna change fluid again because i did a filter and fluid change and that really doesn't change much of the fluid. As for the slamming into gear as you slow down, yes i have that. Do you think its too late to do the software update?
The flush seems pretty popular in UK so i thought someone might have experience with that here.

Thanks

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think it's too late but I don't know. I find it strange that your dealer won't do it though, especially since it's all profit for them.

You should get an IIDTool and do it yourself. The tool will pay for itself down the road.

Kushan862

Reaction score
ya thats what i thought too but oh well. I've been looking at a few online and the price isn't that bad for what it does.but im still worried if i should even update the software because according to them the clutches will wear more due to the changes and destroy my transmission. hopefully someone who has done it on a high mileage LR3 will chime in.

Thanks for your support though

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You bet...and I can understand your concern.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635