lr3 transmission problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jattea

Reaction score
I have had my 2005 in the shop three times for the same problem; at approximately 30 mph the transmission slips. I can engage if I accelerate, but would like to know if anyone has has the same issue- resolved. The dealer did a software update and that did not work.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't had my transmission "slip" since I owned an '84 Ford Bronco II in the late '80s. Are you saying that you put your foot in, nothing happened, and then all of a sudden it lurched into gear and accelerated?

Has the dealer checked the inside of the transmission to see if it's more than just a software issue? If they botch this repair, you're qualified for Lemon Law reimbursement. Document everything.

jimzigg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
this sounds a bit different from a more well docuemnted lr3 problem of rolling stop then accelerate "slip", or "****" which my lr3 exhibits form time to time. all i have read on this is that LR claims it is "normal". the only thing i can do is come to full stop and accelerate lightly and that helps.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jim, I think LR has a fix for the rolling stop lurch...they did a transmission s/w update on my '05 about a year or so ago and it's been good since...except that now instead of the lurch it will sometimes refuse to shift into 1st (in CommandShift) if I'm rolling to a stop and shifting down from 2nd. I'm almost certain that this is due to the software programming.

jimzigg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
good info i will have em check it out at next service. they said they did all sw updates at my 60k though..........

JThiessen

Reaction score
I have had my 2005 in the shop three times for the same problem; at approximately 30 mph the transmission slips. I can engage if I accelerate, but would like to know if anyone has has the same issue- resolved. The dealer did a software update and that did not work.

Can you give a little better explanation of what you mean by slip? What exactly happens?

broiler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This "slip" sounds like what happened to my ML320 a few years ago. The sensation was almost the same as a slipping clutch on a manual. The only solution for me was to get a new transmission, which was fortunately covered by warranty. They didn't have any explanation for why it happened, but said it was extremely rare. The gears just simply were not meshing well. This could be a similar problem. I hope the original poster comes back and gives us an update.

jzk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just got back from a trip to Florida and back. I noticed that occasionally, on the highway if I am cruising and let off the accellerator to coast a bit, and then accellerate again, I get this hesitation before it "catches." It didn't do it all the time, but it was slightly unnerving.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dimitricourmousis