LR3 vs. Lexus GX

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Skywaterbanjo

Reaction score
Anyone have any insights? My wife is currently driving an '03 GX, which has been a decent vehicle. We really like many of the features of the LR3 (rear seats foldable vs. removable, 4wd capabilities). She would like to consider a new GX but I'm leaning towards the LR3. Any strong arguements either way?

Thanks for the input in advance.

dropper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I considered the GX until I actually drove it. On the road it felt very sloppy and top-heavy. Plus the swinging rear gate seemed less than functional...

For a truck with real utility - to include usable cargo space & great offroad capability - as well as decent on road performance, I found the LR3 hard to beat. The LR3 also seemed to be a better overall value for the money...

Good luck.

Wayfarer

Reaction score
IMO, it just depends what you want out of a vehicle. Soccer Mom pick the Lexus. A desire for real off road and foul weather ability, pick the LR3. Both are great picks for different reasons.

H

Houm_WA

SLIGHTLY different perspective from Wayfarer:

I think that the GX is probably pretty capable offroad...for what most people would want or need. As long as an SUV has a 2-speed transfer case and a locking center differential, it will go most places. So, I'd say they're both capable, but certainly the LR3 has an edge because it is designed for even more extreme stuff and has greater technology (traction control, suspension, locking rear diff (if equipped with HD package) and of course the TR system). ...but for most people this is over-****.

Which brings us to other criteria: The GX is probably more reliable than the LR3. There, I said it. I haven't had any issues for a while (knock on wood) but when I was having issues, I was very unhappy. The GX is a Lexus and it's in its 4th (?) year of production so it is most likely quite reliable. It's also sort of conservative and boring. That was my take on it when I drove it.

So there you have it.

They're both nice and you really can't lose either way.

Wayfarer

Reaction score
Houm_WA said:
SLIGHTLY different perspective from Wayfarer:

I think that the GX is probably pretty capable offroad...for what most people would want or need. As long as an SUV has a 2-speed transfer case and a locking center differential, it will go most places. So, I'd say they're both capable, but certainly the LR3 has an edge because it is designed for even more extreme stuff and has greater technology (traction control, suspension, locking rear diff (if equipped with HD package) and of course the TR system). ...but for most people this is over-****.

Which brings us to other criteria: The GX is probably more reliable than the LR3. There, I said it. I haven't had any issues for a while (knock on wood) but when I was having issues, I was very unhappy. The GX is a Lexus and it's in its 4th (?) year of production so it is most likely quite reliable. It's also sort of conservative and boring. That was my take on it when I drove it.

So there you have it.

They're both nice and you really can't lose either way.

Seriously, where is the different perspective? What you have done is use many words to create a distinction without a difference; basically you just wanted to argue with me and appear to contradict what I said when in fact you just explicated it.

Soccer Mom needs reliability, room, reasonable safety. Yes it can do mild off-pavement stuff however I specifically said:

A desire for real off road and foul weather ability, pick the LR3.

So I repeat, in my pithy way: Soccer Mom pick Lexus. Desire for real off-roading, pick LR3.

Cheers

P.S. Drag race a Titan yet?

H

Houm_WA

And I will now engage you more thoroughly....the statement "real offroad..." implies (to me) that the GX could not handle itself in anything but a gravel parking lot. I don't agree with this. Lexus/Toyota knows how to build a 4x4 as the Land Cruiser has been very capable. That said, looking at the equipment standard on the GX, I would say that it could handle itself just fine offroad...REAL offroad....and certainly foul weather...but perhaps not the extreme stuff like Moab.

So, you may be correct in that my "perspective" is not all that different than yours except that I give the GX more credit than you do...or perhaps it's just a difference in terminology here in that what you call "real" offroad I call "extreme." Maybe we need a scale with greater fidelity to describe offroad conditions.

I would sooner call an X5 or MDX a "Soccer Mom Mobile" than I would a GX.

As for the Titan drag race...see the other thread.

...and for the record, Wayfarer...yes, I am enjoying every minute of arguing with you.

:)

Wayfarer

Reaction score
As I suspected, the distinction was in your mind. I shall be more loquacious.

Why are you arguing with me for enjoyment? I have 350 employees to argue with daily, I get plenty of it at work.

Cheers

Skywaterbanjo

Reaction score
Thanks for the input. My main concern is the reliability/maintenance factor. we live in a small town in Colorado. The nearest LR dealer is 3 hours away. there is a Toyota dealer in town that can fix most things on her GX but many warranty items are also 3 hours away. I'm just concerned about serious breakdowns where the vehicle is not driveable and has to be towed. We haven't had any of those on her GX (luckily, we haven't had any of those on our 911 or Cayenne, either). When you refer to reliability, are you talking about annoying glitches or serious breakdowns?

Thanks for the help.

Wayfarer

Reaction score
Get the Lexus. I would not suggest anyone that is three hours from their LR dealership buy one.

woodmews

Reaction score
I am a "soccer mom" and would not trade my LR3, reliable or not, I know plenty of friends that have had problems with the GX, for any truck. This is the best unique car around. If you want to be a trend setter get the LR, if you are a follower get the GX.....

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72