LR3 vs. Lexus GX

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd agree with Wayfarer, strictly based on geography. Those mountains deserve a LR though...

H

Houm_WA

Ok, I am not going to argue anymore on this thread; there have been plenty of insightful posts. Skywaterbanjo.....you're just gonna have to get whatever you want to get. They're both good.

...but I do want to at least answer your question:

None of the issues I've dealt with have been "serious breakdowns" in that they have not left me stranded. One of them was serious enough that they had to replace a mechanical part (rear diff) and another was a replacement of a control unit...which is also hardware. The rest of the (non-recall) work was software-related.

I hope that helps.

DefenderFanCA

Reaction score
We have a new LR3, bought it about three months back. We've had zero issues with it, and I mean zero, as in perfect. My wife and I just got back from the Land Rover Experience school in Carmel, and had a wonderful time - the vehicle was pretty amazing in how it made us complete newbs look good on some fairly interesting terrain.

Anyway, I test drove just about everything out there, and it was pretty clear to me which way to go. The LR3 had a sense of endless competence about it in everything that it did. There just doesn't seem to be any driving situation that can fluster the thing.

Lexus makes great vehicles, no doubt about it, and if the wood/leather thing is an essential, you really can't go wrong buying one. But I find them somewhat pedestrian and boring. Of course, sometimes boring is good, especially if you just want an A to B kind of a drive. But the LR3 manages to have both character and competence, without a lot of trade-offs.

My two cents, and as I said, still in my honeymoon phase with the truck.

Good luck!

R

roverall

Wayfarer said:
Get the Lexus. I would not suggest anyone that is three hours from their LR dealership buy one.

I agree. Buy the Lexus. Even if you by some miracle get an LR3 with no major issues, just the minor issues will require too much of your time to driving three hours to get them fixed. My dealer is 5 minutes away and the issues drive me crazy. Plus Landrover customer service is horrible. You will regret buying a LR3 I promise you.

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, you won't regret buying an LR3. The hassles of knowing your dealer all too well do NOT outweight the joys of ownership. The LR3 is a supremely enjoyable car. It's on road ride, comfort, and utility are unmatched, and it's off road ability and prowless are unparralleled. It's an extremely good all around car.

Before you buy, I suggest you have a go at various parking scenarious. The LR3 is amazingly compact when trying to shoehorn into tight spaces, with a fabulous turning radius to match.

Not so much for the GX.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hate questions of opinion...people have actually asked what color LR3 they should get on here.
My LR3 has been near perfect. Still, I have probably been to the dealer 1/2 a dozen times or so in the last year. And the idea of driving 36 hours in a year's time just to go to the dealer does not appeal to me very much. If he gets an LR3 like askewed's, he might use up his warranty just driving back and forth to get it fixed.

R

roverall

nwoods said:
No, you won't regret buying an LR3. The hassles of knowing your dealer all too well do NOT outweight the joys of ownership. The LR3 is a supremely enjoyable car. It's on road ride, comfort, and utility are unmatched, and it's off road ability and prowless are unparralleled. It's an extremely good all around car.

Before you buy, I suggest you have a go at various parking scenarious. The LR3 is amazingly compact when trying to shoehorn into tight spaces, with a fabulous turning radius to match.

Not so much for the GX.

Are you saying that his ability to park the car should be a concern when buying a LR3? He is three hours from a dealer. Trust me there is plenty of parking. He is probably not worried about squeezing into a space in Manhattan.

Z

zdas04

This thread has gone on too long, but I have to add to it.

I also live 3 hours from either a LR or Lexus dealership. I bought a 2005 GX470 in December 2004 and a 2005 LR3 in February 2005.

Our thinking was that the Lexus (being a Lexus) would be more comfortable on the road and probably quite reliable. It has been phenomenally reliable--zero problems in 25,000 miles. But it is acutally less comfortable on the highway than the LR3 (no place to put your left arm that doesn't end up hurting). It has too much off-road stuff and not enough "plush" for what we use it for.

The LR3 was for my work in the Oil Field. It goes where I point it and has had a number of annoying little lights and gongs, it has been on the hook to the dealer twice for stupid lights (both were false alarms). It is really comfortable on the highway and we've often unloaded my tools to take it on trips instead of the Lexus. It has 27,000 miles on it.

After most of two years with the two cars you're considering, I'm thinking of trading the Lexus in on the new LR2 when it comes out if it is anywhere near as comfortable as the LR3 (but I'll go to Glenwood Springs instead of Albuquerque to buy it).

David
'05 LR3, White
New Mexico

jimbiram

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LR3 vs Lexus

You know, if you have so many reservations, you aren't a LR person. It is either in your blood or not. With over 35k miles on my '05 LR3, I still wouldn't buy a Lexus. At the end of the day, you either have a vehicle with character and heritage, or just another Japanese car. Go ahead...buy the Lexus, and move on.

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99