LR3 winter snow hill ice - what to choose???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

west coast1

Reaction score
Maybe this should say confused in BC Canada or I am sitting at the top of a very snowy/icy driveway that has a good degree of slope all the way and is full of 4 hairpins and drop-offs with gravel under the icy snow. I already made the mistake (newbie LR3 owner) of going up and down in hi range in just regular drive but using DSC on down runs - this driveway is about a 1000' long.

So now reading the manual do I engage the snow/gravel setting by turning the dial - do I then select neutral and move the lever to Lo range and then reselect D or ???? oh yes and do I still use the DSC for downhill or does the Lo range do that automatically. AND finally do I turn off or do anything with the DSC button on the dashboard top. What to do what to do!!! Your HELP will be urgently appreciated. My tires are good although not winter tires as we rarely have to deal with these sort of conditions here in my part of BC. Next house will have a flat driveway!!!!!

Thanks
Bob

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, Bob...you need help.

Here you go. In snow, select Grass, Gravel Snow and Lo-Range. Turn off HDC (this is a personal choice) and leave DSC on unless you get into some really deep stuff and need the Rover to dig. Keep your speed low.

On hills, let the Rover idle down and try to stay off the brake. If it's really steep, select 2nd or even 1st gear. I like keeping HDC off on hills because it can induce a slide, in my experience...and the low range is good enough with engine braking.

I hope this helps.

west coast1

Reaction score
LR3 Winter woes

Thanks I'll try that and my LR3 is automatic so don't get the choice of 1st 2nd gears sadly but I love this vehicle. Just didn't want to get nervous in a vehicle that I know can do what its intended to do. I appreciate you taking time to help.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Like I said, Bob....you need help. You can select 1st or 2nd gear using Command Shift. When you select Drive, simply pull the shifter toward your leg. Then push the stick forward or backward to select individual gears. The driver information display shows you the selected gear.

Did you get an Owner's Manual with your vehicle? You oughta crack that sucker open!

west coast1

Reaction score
LR3 Winter woes

Guess thats what is called an Ahha moment. Thanks guys yes I do have a manual which cracked open but feel that its me that needs my mind cracking open. So do I get this right. Select snow/gravel on the dial, slip it into lo range on the RH lever to the right of DSC and then additionally use the gear shifter to move into +/- area and move it down and if so does this override DSC and Lo and and ..........am I getting there cos we're nearly out of milk!!!!

What I need is a thaw not a nervous breakdown here. Is it my imagination or is this getting a tad too complicated. Maybe next year Land Rover school but doesn't help my current predicament. Anyone patient enough to give me a 1 2 3 4 steps be so helpful. Then I could post a pic at bottom of hill rather which tree I slid into.

You guys are great!!

FYI yes I do have a drivers license, yes I can read, yes I am over 60 (yes that could also be the problem) and yes I can drive well 364 days of the year. THIS IS DAY 365!!!!

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IMO, 80% of your problem could just be solved with going slow - and replacing your oem tires.

All the terrain settings and traction control gadgetry helps get you up the hill. Tire traction (and ABS) get you down.

Now go and get that milk. And snap a pic for us on your way...

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First thing, Bob...the yellow button is for HDC, not DSC. They are different. Also, I wouldn't do a lot of sudden manual shifting. In fact, if you've never really done it, then you might want to just leave 'er in Drive. Unless it's a really steep hill, Drive is going to keep you slow enough in Lo-Range.

Hey, you don't need to go to LR Driving School...just read your manual.

Here is your requested step-by-step:

1. Start the car!
2. Put it in nuetral, select Lo-range. (yes, the lever next to the HDC button)
3. Put it in Drive.
4. Select Grass, Gravel Snow Mode on the dial.
4. Turn OFF the HDC. (yellow button).
5. Idle down the hill.

west coast1

Reaction score
LR3 Winter woes

Very red faced, no more tom clancy or john grisham I"M READING THE LR3 MANUAL YEAH................the advice is all appreciated. Think I'll give it one more day to thaw a bit (currently -10F who am I kidding) for one more day read WOOOOSSS. It actually did scare me when it started sliding and yes we do have a STEEP hill driveway with drop offs and BIG rocks along the edge - but realized that foot on brake was not the answer but got it back under control - it wanted to lead with the engine weight but not point in the right direction.Yes good call to not be playing with the 1st 2nd as I experiment getting down the hill. Driveway hits the road at a sharp angle so have to use brake there and that means sliding into quiet road and hoping nothing is passing my entrance.

ANYWAYS I'll let you all know when the traverse is negotiated and heck I can do without milk one more day and again my gratitude to you.

Course I could let my wife drive................. NAH!!!!!!!

Best to you all - from chilly in Canada

Beats my other ride a Jeep Grand Cherokee (old old) I love this LR nealry as much as Top Gear do

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
bummer...I wanted to hear of your triumph, today!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflint2112