LR4 2013 5.0L engine ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MNLR4

Reaction score
Was there a change in the engine type and or reliability in the 5.0L engines on the '13's?

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They are supposed to have redesigned timing chain guides and tensioners.

Other than that, essentially the same as the 5.0 engines that came before.

RyanRR

Reaction score
'13 engines are the same as the '11-12 engines, except they have the better timing chain components like mentioned above.

That was a big selling point for me, and that's why you'll typically see a large difference in price between the 2011/12 models and the 2013, followed by an even larger bump for the 14+ with the supercharged V6.

My trusted shop said the price to update the earlier engines to the newer timing components would be anywhere from $4500-6500 depending on what else they found while digging around in the engine.

mmbirtcher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was lucky enough to find an ‘11 that had full oil change records completed at every 5k. It’s my understanding that this reduces the likelihood of chain tensioner issues. I know follow a 7500k full synthetic oil change regimen (Mobil Extended Performance) that meets the LR / Ford spec. Pre purchase inspection and exceptional maintenance records are a must. No matter what year.

RyanRR

Reaction score
I was lucky enough to find an ‘11 that had full oil change records completed at every 5k. It’s my understanding that this reduces the likelihood of chain tensioner issues. I know follow a 7500k full synthetic oil change regimen (Mobil Extended Performance) that meets the LR / Ford spec. Pre purchase inspection and exceptional maintenance records are a must. No matter what year.

Oil changes every 5-7500 miles helps mitigage most of the issues, but I think there's still an aluminum piece somewhere on the tensioner that prematurely wears compared to the steel components used in the upgraded parts. I do believe you can hear when that aluminum piece is worn because that effectively allows the chain to "slap" and make noise because the aluminim piece is too worn to keep the proper tension.

MNLR4

Reaction score
I have kept up with dealer service and have 119k miles with zero issues. Would it seem reasonable that I have the redesigned timing chains and tensioners in the '13? Does anyone have an estimate of how many more miles that engine would go?

MNLR4

Reaction score
Oil changes every 5-7500 miles helps mitigage most of the issues, but I think there's still an aluminum piece somewhere on the tensioner that prematurely wears compared to the steel components used in the upgraded parts. I do believe you can hear when that aluminum piece is worn because that effectively allows the chain to "slap" and make noise because the aluminim piece is too worn to keep the proper tension.
Thanks

MNLR4

Reaction score
Thanks. I have all the dealer records and wanted to have as much info as I could before selling it.

RyanRR

Reaction score
I have kept up with dealer service and have 119k miles with zero issues. Would it seem reasonable that I have the redesigned timing chains and tensioners in the '13? Does anyone have an estimate of how many more miles that engine would go?

If you have the '13 model year it will have the updated timing components. They made the switch in the '12 cycle so even some late '12 models had the new stuff.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA