LR4 3rd Row & Kids...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

retroicon

Reaction score
Hey all,

So I'm considering purchasing a new 2013 LR4 and my big concern is easy access to the 3rd row for the kids...

The 2nd row seating doesn't exactly seem easy to move in order to get to the 3rd row.

Does anyone else here on the boards have their kids move the 2nd row seat to get to the 3rd row? When I'm picking up the kids from school I'd have to have them move the 2nd row seats themselves, get in the 3rd row, and then move the 2nd row seat back into position... then, they'd have to move it out of the way again to get out when they got home.

This is the only thing stopping me from pulling the trigger, but it seems like it might be the deal-breaker.

I have 4 kids, and 2 child seats would be permanently mounted behind the driver's seat, and in the middle seat of the 2nd row... the 2 bigger kids would be the ones going to the back. They're 11 and 8 years old.

Obviously they're old enough that I could teach them to move the seats on their own, but a sliding seat would make things so much easier...

So, anyone with kids going to the 3rd row? How much of a pain in the butt is it really?

Thanks!

sparrky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's definitely not as easy as a van with sliding seats.

You have to flip the back down to then flip the whole seat up towards the front seat-back. Access is a little tight getting in as well. The seats are a little difficult to fold and unfold; and a little heavy, so depending on the age of the kids, it might not be an easy task when hopping in and out.

One of the selling points of the LR4 vs the RRS for me was having the third row seats in the event I needed to fit two more people in it. But I do not use them very often at all. I have had it four months now and only used it once, they day we bought it. I did test sitting in the third row and I have to admit, for a 6-foot tall adult, it was fairly comfortable.

We also have a BWM X5 with the third row, and I would say it has a similar situation as the LR in terms of using the seats, however the 2nd row in the X5 slides forward a little, which is different than the LR4. With the X5, access is much tighter and sitting area is only for kids up to 8-9 year olds, depending on how big they are.

In the past we had a Toyota Sequoia and for the huge size of it, access was very similar to the LR4, fold down and flip up to access the third row.

We traded in a Honda van for the LR4, so there was very easy access to the third row seats in the van. By design, the van is purpose built to be convenient to access the seats and cart around a bunch of people.

Hope this helps and good luck!

Attachments

• ScreenShot003.jpg
    ScreenShot003.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 27

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Put the middle seat down all the way (folded and collapsed to floor) and have the car seats in the outer left and right spots. The older kids can just get to the 3rd rows seats through the middle without moving any seats.

It will be a little bit of a compromise, but hey... it isnt a minivan.

alexcorral

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Put the middle seat down all the way (folded and collapsed to floor) and have the car seats in the outer left and right spots. The older kids can just get to the 3rd rows seats through the middle without moving any seats.

It will be a little bit of a compromise, but hey... it isnt a minivan.

This is your best option to have permanent use and easy access to the third row. You end up with 6 seats, but all easily accessible.

Otherwise, it seems a minivan is the best match for your needs. :eek:

horacioad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is not the easiest task to accomplish by a kid and actually some adults. My twins are 10 and they can fold the seats themselves 90% of the time. Normally I do it because it is easy to loose a toe when they slam the second row down. Of course I only use the third row a fraction of the time that you will use them. Going over the middle when folded down is always an option. But you can always let the back folded down on the 2nd row passenger seat. Pain in the ###? Oh yeah. Minivans are great for this situations, 45 cup holders, electric sliding doors, a Bluetooth that works 100% of the time....... (but still a minivan). I justify all the extra work with the safety factor of having my family ride in a tank.

retroicon

Reaction score
I'd purchase a second vehicle to tow behind my truck before I'd purchase a minivan... so that's out of the question.

I didn't think about them slamming the seat down when they're in the back, and the possibility of one of them crushing their feet... we're in Florida, and sandals are worn 95% of the year. That's something to consider for sure.

I don't think will be as big a deal in a few years when my 5 year old gets into the same type of backless booster as the big kids, because at that point they can all sit wherever they need to without having to go to the 3rd row on a daily basis.

For now I have an 11 year old and an 8 year old in backless boosters (they're short, so they'll be there a while) a 5 year old in a booster with a back, and a 5 month old who will be in a car seat for a while.

I rarely have all 4 with me at once, but if I had to have the permanently mounted seats in the 2nd row for the baby and the 5 year old, the older ones would be in the back all the time... and they're the ones with me the most.

GoLoaf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Perhaps remove the 2nd row middle seat entirely?

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Putting it flat and removing the headrest puts it very well out of the way IMO.

AceRider

Reaction score
I have 4 kids, and 2 child seats would be permanently mounted behind the driver's seat, and in the middle seat of the 2nd row... the 2 bigger kids would be the ones going to the back. They're 11 and 8 years old.

How are you mouting in the middle of the second row - seat belt mounting alone, no LATCH system?

I KNOW we all survived childhood without these complicated child safety seats, but now that the technology is out there and it's definitely safer than just sitting a child in the seat with a seatbelt, I feel better using it.

I literally just found out that I have a second on the way and literally just purchased the LR4 and am now wondering how to do two car seats. I never thought of leaving the middle folded flat all of the time and letting adults sit in the rear, that's a good option.

The rear has NO LATCH system, right? It seems like with all of the piping and bars in the seats you could attache the LATCH system somewhere back there. I would guess those seats are as safe as any others in the car when it boils down to it, right?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo