LR4 3rd Row & Kids...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AceRider

Reaction score
On another note, the Infinit JX has a seat that flips (maybe slides?) forward with a car seat attached.

What stops the LR's second row seat from flipping UP until the headrest hits the back of the front seat if a car seat were in the second row and stopping the backrest from going forward first? I tried it, but it doesn't work. Is it a dual locking mechanism with both the backrest and the base having a lock?

What I'm getting at is what stops teh seat from flipping in an "L" shap up from the base hinging on the front with the car seat stopping the back rest from coming forward but the base still able to move? Hard to explain, but easy for me to envision...

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't have an answer, but as a mechanical design engineer I can tell you that it would be pretty straightforward to design a mechanical interlock to prevent the seat from swinging forward in an "L" shape.

AceRider

Reaction score
That's what I'm guessing is in place; I envision something like a "J" hook on the backrest which disengages when the back is laid flat. It would be great of the child's seat could be lifted forward while in place, but I guess if someone pulled the cord in the back it would release the lock and have no safety in a crash. I guess tieing it to the backrest is safer, but stops use of the third row pass through. Oh well, can't have everything....

jtharmon

Reaction score
why not just remove the middle second row seat completely? makes it a "bucket" seat confg

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think it would be possible without leaving a bunch of exposed - and possibly dangerous - hardware where the middle seat used to be.

I knock that middle seat down all the time (for extra cargo space, not kids... I only have 3 so don't use the 3rd row much) and have two convertible seats on the 2nd row outboard positions. If you will be doing that as well, make sure you pick narrow and low profile child seats for the second row - I have 2 Diono Radian RXT mounted, they are perfectly sized for our cars - since bulkier seats may get in the way of the center section folding, and make it much more difficult for your little ones to squeeze through.

BznLR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also have Radian car seat mounted on one side, and an infant car seat on the other side. Middle seat folded flat works pretty well for accessing the 3rd fow seats.

This week my dad was in town and he preferred to access the 3rd row through the rear gate (with one of the 3rd row seats folded flat). This actually worked quite nicely!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo