LR4 as a off road vehicle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
So I am seriously considering a LR4. I will be taking it into the trails of Moab and Colorado. Primarily because it rides so well and is perfect in so many ways for the task at hand. I am concerned about several things.

1) Underbody protection? Is it adequate? I put nice thick skid plates on my Xterra and bent a transmission crossbar on my Tundra (it had all stock plates). The bend was minor and didn't requires replacement. Do I need to factor in better underbody parts on a LR4? I am not a reckless guy. But things happen on the trail. How sturdy is the LR4 protection.

2) Am I going to wear out the LR4 suspension off roading it a couple time a months. Basically, is it sturdy enough. Air suspension is making me nervous. But frankly that is why the LR4 is no nice in the end.

3) Anything I should just "Have". I am thinking of some real rocker panel protection. That was about it.

In the end, other then the the small bend from a rock on the Tundra. It was a great truck. It did nearly everything I wanted it to do. But it was way to big. So the LR4 is a much nicer tidier option.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I am seriously considering a LR4. I will be taking it into the trails of Moab and Colorado.

Many people have started threads with essentially the same idea. Use the search function on here to find others' concerns and solutions.

1) Underbody protection? Is it adequate? .... Do I need to factor in better underbody parts on a LR4? I am not a reckless guy. ....How sturdy is the LR4 protection.

Have you looked under an LR4? The fuel tank has a thin cover and I suppose there's a thin steel plate under the engine. I wouldn't depend on these though, they're more like for the gentle "oops" moments, not serious hits.

2) Am I going to wear out the LR4 suspension off roading it a couple time a months. Basically, is it sturdy enough. Air suspension is making me nervous. But frankly that is why the LR4 is no nice in the end.

No, it's designed for exactly what you're talking about. The compressor can get a bit overworked/too hot and not behave so well if you try going up/down over and over or staying lifted higher than the standard off road height for too long, but otherwise it's a pretty good system.

3) Anything I should just "Have". I am thinking of some real rocker panel protection. That was about it.

But it was way to big. So the LR4 is a much nicer tidier option.

I'd say first just GO. Get out, be careful and sensible to start with. Then see what you actually feel like getting into and then ad things as needed, not as anticipated. You can go a bit crazy with the route of adding what you think you might need.

For example, you say "rocker panel". My thought is that's such a slippery slope of how robust and where to stop. On the light but very slick end are the aluminum Mantec sill covers which are very much like a stock look but offer great protection to just the sill edge itself.

The slippery slope though is "Why spend $500 on those when $1500 will get you seriously heavy duty sliders that protect the doors and air tank too. Well, that also adds 200 lbs and most likely requires modifying the air compressor mount.

So, as with all the other things you could "just have" to start with, some experience with what you DO have first is probably the best way to start.

The single most important thing right up front over anything else is usually a proper tire that will be less likely to get damaged turning an epic day into an unbelievably annoying day. This assumes you obviously already have a matching full size spare with you.

One note about the factory tires: The problem isn't so much that they are NOT a crazy off road tire, the problem is that around 2005, Land Rover started putting sh I t tires on the vehicles. These were good for only highway and maybe gravel forest roads and don't even wear very well sometimes.

On both of my earlier generation Discovery's, the factory spec tire was actually kind of awesome. It was the Michelin XPC 4x4. It had this perfect blend of open tread blocks but also great highway and rain performance. Current tires like that are a Cooper I don't recall the name of and a bit more aggressive, the Nitto Terra Grappler. I used that Michelin on my Disco 1 in NC red clay mud on rover club outings and did quite well. I'd use the hell out of a tire like that now if Michelin had it in current sizes.

So, it's not like you have to go crazy, but unfortunately the stock tires these days really are a let down on such a vehicle just as much as a full size spare not being the standard.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As jwest pointed out, there are a lot of threads already on this forum about going off road and lots of videos on youtube with LR4s going off road. That said, some of the best advice I received from a Land Rover training expert was to think "expedition off road" meaning that you need to drive and make decision with the idea that the vehicle is your only way of getting home - protect it. I've seen some in Moab and Colorado who drive trails just to see how far their vehicle will go before it breaks. Those are mostly people with Jeeps or old Broncos or even old Discos. But if you are smart there are a LOT of great places in Utah and Colorado for which the LR4 is an awesome vehicle.

My advice would be good tires. My wife and I were out yesterday - driving through various aspen forests - and were able to keep going after a number of folks in "cross overs" turned back. But when I was checking my tires today I noticed that my right rear was cut on the sidewall. LOTS of sharp rocks on the latter part of the trail. The tire had held so no problems on the the trail but I spent a couple of hours changing the tire today as I didn't want to pull our trailer home on a damaged tire. Probably the biggest problem we have in Colorado is rocks and the potential for tire sidewall damage.

Reaction score
I am not worried about the truck making it on the trails. I watched videos of what it can do fairly easily it seems. Plus, I don't really go crazy. But I have never cut a tire on my Tundra. but they are tall sidewall tires. It does bother me to not have a full size spare. That seems very odd. I did tap the protection under the truck. But it's not like I lifted the truck up to look. Kinda hard to do at the dealership. So to me. Just to be safe. I need to inspect the underbody situation, get a real full size spare, and consider the rock sliders.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I need to inspect the underbody situation, get a real full size spare, and consider the rock sliders.

I would suggest $ for top notch tires before any sliders or skids. Honestly, most places where sliders are truly needed are also places that most people just don't need to be driving. Yes, it's fun, but need and want are two very different things. A 31.5" with a tough sidewall with matching spare will take you 90% of places.

Keep in mind, the factory tire is a 20" wheel with a 30" tire. That leaves you with only a 5" sidewall. The smartest thing to do is get onto an 18" wheel with a 31.5" tire. This will increase ground clearance by .75" and sidewall by 1.75" in addition to having many more tire choices.

An LR4 comes with 20" wheels, period. 19" will fit but they are not really any better of a choice. 18" factory will fit by using a spacer. People have shown them to fit with a 30mm spacer but H&R also makes a 25mm.

The trouble with a larger tire on the 20" is less to choose from that will still fit into a stock LR4 fender liner and frame space. You'll need to read up on the endless LR4/20" tire threads and/or just plan to take it easy where you go with a stock size 20" tire.

Reaction score
All the LR4's I looked at are 19 inch. 255/55/19. I looked at tires. But I may buy used so I don't know what it would come with. But I won't buy a LR4 with 20's. Sliders are not only for sliding. They are also protecting the body running board area. Just like underbody protection is for protecting the frame and undercarriage. When you off road you typically put the wheel over the highest obstacle. This then can cause the rock to hit the frame right where you have the slider or running board. It's not only about sliding but also protection.

Last edited:

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Telling people here that their sliders are for protection is like telling them their truck is 4 wheel drive :biggrin::biggrin:

Last edited:
Reaction score
Telling people here that their sliders are for protection is like telling them their truck is 4 wheel drive :biggrin::biggrin:

I said "I" want them for protection not for sliding. I said it's not only for sliding but also for protecting the running board area.

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am not worried about the truck making it on the trails. I watched videos of what it can do fairly easily it seems. Plus, I don't really go crazy. But I have never cut a tire on my Tundra. but they are tall sidewall tires. It does bother me to not have a full size spare. That seems very odd. I did tap the protection under the truck. But it's not like I lifted the truck up to look. Kinda hard to do at the dealership. So to me. Just to be safe. I need to inspect the underbody situation, get a real full size spare, and consider the rock sliders.

The LR4 will come with a full sized spare if it has the Heavy Duty Package. You DO want this option for other reasons, as it adds a rear locking diff and the newer LR4s ('14+) adds the Low Range 2 speed transfer case. 2 spd x-fer case is standard for 13' and previous models.

Reaction score
The LR4 will come with a full sized spare if it has the Heavy Duty Package. You DO want this option for other reasons, as it adds a rear locking diff and the newer LR4s ('14+) adds the Low Range 2 speed transfer case. 2 spd x-fer case is standard for 13' and previous models.

OK, I don't get this part of it very well. I have only looked at new. On the new you want the HD package as like you said you get the Low Range Gearbox etc. I guess what your saying is if I buy a USED 11-13 LR4 it's going to have the Low Range but maybe NOT the full sized spare. I don't know if the older ones have the same locking diff arrangement as the newer ones. I really like that locking diff arrangement. It's not like I can't buy a full size spare. But adding locking diffs is not on my agenda at all.

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rendak