Lr4 Brakes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

powershift

Full Access Member
Reaction score

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used the LTS brake pads. Worked great the first go around (around 45k to 50k miles), but could not get them to stop squealing the second time. Shame, because they work just as good as the OEM with about 1/3 the brake dust. I suppose I could have tried some brake adhesive spray, but after taking them apart and using brake grease once only to have the sound return about 3,000 miles later, I did not want to mess with them anymore.

I still have a brand new set of Hawk LTS for the rear if anyone wants them.

powershift

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The brake pads on my LR4 are very quiet and the dust is manageable as long as I wash the rims and tires every week. The stopping power isn't that great but its fine and I don't need to change it for a dustier compound or risk noise.

I asked my local land rover for a quote for front and rear pads and two rear rotors. Also a gallon of coolant, but do these prices seem normal? Kind of expensive, but if they are quality parts I'm fine paying for that since I just want to do it once and be done with it for 20-30k miles or however long they will last

jjf1b83.png

f1racer328

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The brake pads on my LR4 are very quiet and the dust is manageable as long as I wash the rims and tires every week. The stopping power isn't that great but its fine and I don't need to change it for a dustier compound or risk noise.

I asked my local land rover for a quote for front and rear pads and two rear rotors. Also a gallon of coolant, but do these prices seem normal? Kind of expensive, but if they are quality parts I'm fine paying for that since I just want to do it once and be done with it for 20-30k miles or however long they will last

View attachment 24118

I just finished my install of Zimmerman Rotors and Ferodo (OEM) pads. All purchased from FCP Euro and I couldn't be happier. All 4 corners brand new rotors/pads for $429.37 (Black Friday deal)

The Zimmerman rotors are Zinc coated which was a nice surprise. I bedded them in yesterday morning and everything feels great. No squeals or anything. They will probably dust like the OEM pads/rotors, but I don't mind that much. The Zimmerman rotors feel the same as the OEM Bosch rotors. Whenever my dad drives my Disco he always compliments the brake feel.

On the note of your quoted prices, they're up charging for parts a little bit - https://www.roverparts.com/brakes/rotors-drums/8856G/ Seems pretty typical for OEM part pricing at an indy though. Same with coolant too, looks like they are up charging a lot.

There also isn't any labor quoted on that image you uploaded.

If you are going to do the work yourself, buy OEM parts online. Atlantic British/FCP Euro seem to be good suppliers.

greiswig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why would it be good to coat rotors with a soft metal like zinc?

powershift

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just finished my install of Zimmerman Rotors and Ferodo (OEM) pads. All purchased from FCP Euro and I couldn't be happier. All 4 corners brand new rotors/pads for $429.37 (Black Friday deal)

The Zimmerman rotors are Zinc coated which was a nice surprise. I bedded them in yesterday morning and everything feels great. No squeals or anything. They will probably dust like the OEM pads/rotors, but I don't mind that much. The Zimmerman rotors feel the same as the OEM Bosch rotors. Whenever my dad drives my Disco he always compliments the brake feel.

On the note of your quoted prices, they're up charging for parts a little bit - https://www.roverparts.com/brakes/rotors-drums/8856G/ Seems pretty typical for OEM part pricing at an indy though. Same with coolant too, looks like they are up charging a lot.

There also isn't any labor quoted on that image you uploaded.

If you are going to do the work yourself, buy OEM parts online. Atlantic British/FCP Euro seem to be good suppliers.

$430 sounds reasonable, plus you did the work yourself so that is even more savings. The quote illustrated is what I'd expect with labor included, but I plan to do the work myself. I looked at FCP Euro and I could replace all rotors and pads with sensors (the dash light is not on) for 1/2 the price of the quote I got with this kit. But I'm not sure about the pad compound and rotors.

The pads in that kit aren't Ferodo, they are PAGID brand which if I remember correctly is more budget brand. I've heard of Ferodo, they make quality pads for Corvettes. For the LR4 they have these for the front and these for the rear. All the compound details they have is "eco" whatever that means. I'm more of a leaded guy tbh. But it looks like they include bolts with thread-locker already on there. Outside of the kit the only Brembo rotors I found were for the rears. It seems strange Brembo would offer rear rotors but not front rotors. I'm tempted to get the Ferodo compound and Zimmerman rotors. Have you tried the PAGID compound?

f1racer328

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why would it be good to coat rotors with a soft metal like zinc?
Like ryanjl said, helps prevent rust/corrosion.

The entire rotor is coated, so when you install them they look weird until you wear off the coating (5-10 stops in my neighborhood and it was gone) Brakes felt awful when the coating was wearing off, but it went away very fast (The instructions tell you how to wear the coating off)

It's also nice because assuming you don't get any grease on the zinc you don't have to spray it down with brake cleaner.

Before
IMG_6525.JPEG

After
IMG_6530.JPEG

LB Bill

Full Access Member
Reaction score

View attachment 24118
That looks like a JLR dealer quote and the parts costs seem to reflect that. Last year I did the exact same as @f1racer328 -- Ferodo pads from FCP Euro (OE without the 'genuine LR' stamp on them) and Zimmerman zinc coated rotors provided by my mechanic , on all four corners. We added rotors to the work after he inspected the existing (marginal)...I had already considered doing the Zimmermans anyway.
I've put about 7k miles on them and I'm happy with the performance and feel...same as new OE. Unfortunately the brake dust is also about the same, but thanks to the zinc coating, there's no rust/corrosion in the hub area, so overall it seems/looks much cleaner.
Including tax, the pads and sensors were $151 (on sale) and the rotors were $390. Labor was $420 (3hrs), total was $961 out the door.

If you're due for brakes, and unless the independent mechanic doing your timing chains..etc. insists on buying the parts from the dealer, maybe get a quote to do the brakes?...since your truck will already be 'checked-in' there.

powershift

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That looks like a JLR dealer quote and the parts costs seem to reflect that. Last year I did the exact same as @f1racer328 -- Ferodo pads from FCP Euro (OE without the 'genuine LR' stamp on them) and Zimmerman zinc coated rotors provided by my mechanic , on all four corners. We added rotors to the work after he inspected the existing (marginal)...I had already considered doing the Zimmermans anyway.
I've put about 7k miles on them and I'm happy with the performance and feel...same as new OE. Unfortunately the brake dust is also about the same, but thanks to the zinc coating, there's no rust/corrosion in the hub area, so overall it seems/looks much cleaner.
Including tax, the pads and sensors were $151 (on sale) and the rotors were $390. Labor was $420 (3hrs), total was $961 out the door.

If you're due for brakes, and unless the independent mechanic doing your timing chains..etc. insists on buying the parts from the dealer, maybe get a quote to do the brakes?...since your truck will already be 'checked-in' there.

$960 with labor sounds reasonable. It isn't due for brakes yet, I'm doing the work on my own and I'll have a ~30k mile span of time w/out having to do brakes while overlanding across the West. If what I read is correct, the sensors won't need to be replaced since the indicator light in the dash isn't on. I'm hoping for that because replacing the sensors sounds like a pain point.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99