LR4 - Coolant Under Pressure When Cold

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

greiswig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's hard for me to tell from that video whether that's releasing positive or negative pressure, and the way this thing is plumbed I'm not sure what to expect out of the coolant level in either case. I'm not near my vehicle so I can't check mine for you.

Any sign of white smoke on startup? Any other symptoms of any kind? If you're feeling really squeamish about things, a compression test would help alleviate some concerns, more than likely. You could also do a leakdown test on the coolant system (pressurize it artificially when cold, see how it holds the pressure). Then look for that white smoke on startup to see if it forced coolant into a cylinder.

The other thing that I suppose might cause this is if your system isn't fully bled. A pocket of air somewhere expanding and contracting with the temperature change might contribute to more of this than in a system where there was zero air.

FWIW, it would not surprise me or alarm me to see some pressure differential after 12 hours of cooling as long as there is no clear loss of coolant, no white smoke, and no overheating or puddles on the ground.

f1racer328

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That’s a good point about the coolant not being fully bled out, didn’t OP just replace their crossover pipes?

Maybe you just need to spend more time bleeding out more air. Telling you, vacuum bleeder is the way.

M32H32IS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know it had a leaking pipe going from the back crossover to the heater core.

I bypassed the heater core and bled the system. It seemed OK for a bit but this started happening again.

I may have residual air pockets or a new leak. The prior leak was nearly undetectable. I happened to see a drop of coolant one day, squealed the hose and it exposed the crack.

ApolloActual

Reaction score
Did you find anything that was causing this?

I'm getting my LR4 ready for a cross country trip and I noticed it hissing when I opened the expansion tank to top it off.

M32H32IS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Head bolt had loosened slightly and combustion gasses got in the coolant.

Shop that did my reman engine fixed it at no cost.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72