LR4 Desert Driving

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

varleypaul

Reaction score
I recently bought a Land Rover Discovery 4, live in Oman and went to wahiba sands ( the desert). I deflated the tyre to 18 psi, turned off the DCS yet struggled in the sand mode of the terrain to climb any dunes successfully. When climbing the dune in sand mode there was very little power initially with the throttle pressed however enough to start climbing the dune but the power comes back in too late, virtually as the car runs out of momentum and then it just buries in the sand. I tried using the mud ruts setting and a few others several times all without success. The only thing I could do in the end which was more successful was leave the car in normal mode, but low range and drive up the dune in 3rd gear. This would then get me up the dune but as soon as in soft sand again and turning the car it again got buried so that the chassis was touching the sand. I also had my step father with who has had older landrovers for 30 years and used to run off roading schools etc in the UK, he also struggled with the car in the desert and couldn’t get up or across the dunes without getting stuck.

Could you please let me know the best set up for the car for this type of environment. I am very keen to really enjoy my new car.

ByGuile

Reaction score
Wow sounds like you get to have the fun that most of us only dream of!

I think you did the right thing, traction control in normal mode
(the sand setting only helps to keep tires from spinning, but at the expense of total power available)

and DCS off (same reason)

airing down to 18 is extreme, but so were your conditions so that is OK too....maybe some bigger tires?

if these SUV's can do it, then the LR4 can too...

http://www.addictedtotravel.com/Res...a-451c-9ddb-e6e04393fd28-350-1000_350-288.jpg

http://www.dennisflood.com/photos/2007/1000/sand_dune_driving_6129.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...ba_Sands_(24).jpg/800px-Wahiba_Sands_(24).jpg

sure looks like fun!!!

Rhazer

Reaction score
I recently bought a Land Rover Discovery 4, live in Oman and went to wahiba sands ( the desert). I deflated the tyre to 18 psi, turned off the DCS yet struggled in the sand mode of the terrain to climb any dunes successfully. When climbing the dune in sand mode there was very little power initially with the throttle pressed however enough to start climbing the dune but the power comes back in too late, virtually as the car runs out of momentum and then it just buries in the sand. I tried using the mud ruts setting and a few others several times all without success. The only thing I could do in the end which was more successful was leave the car in normal mode, but low range and drive up the dune in 3rd gear. This would then get me up the dune but as soon as in soft sand again and turning the car it again got buried so that the chassis was touching the sand. I also had my step father with who has had older landrovers for 30 years and used to run off roading schools etc in the UK, he also struggled with the car in the desert and couldn’t get up or across the dunes without getting stuck.

Could you please let me know the best set up for the car for this type of environment. I am very keen to really enjoy my new car.

That is very weird, with my LR3 theres no place here in Dubai that i cant cross or dune go up, you have to remember to keep momentum and speed when going up dunes, what i do is put it in normal mode, with dsc off, front tires 15, rear tires 10-12, as they dont turn and are less prone to coming off, 18 isnt enough, and i have the V8 with 19"'s.
when i see i might struggle , i usually put the gear on first and keep it that way if its a small dune, if its large then i leave it in D mode, gain as much speed as i can before start climbing.....

remember, number one , air down ,15 front, 10-12 rear and you should be fine...
I seldom use desert mode to be honest, the only difference i noticed was it keeps the gears lower as much as possible before changing up to the next....

Rhazer

Reaction score
Wow sounds like you get to have the fun that most of us only dream of!

I think you did the right thing, traction control in normal mode
(the sand setting only helps to keep tires from spinning, but at the expense of total power available)

and DCS off (same reason)

airing down to 18 is extreme, but so were your conditions so that is OK too....maybe some bigger tires?

if these SUV's can do it, then the LR4 can too...

http://www.addictedtotravel.com/Res...a-451c-9ddb-e6e04393fd28-350-1000_350-288.jpg

http://www.dennisflood.com/photos/2007/1000/sand_dune_driving_6129.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...ba_Sands_(24).jpg/800px-Wahiba_Sands_(24).jpg

sure looks like fun!!!

18 is not extreme at all, i once got stuck out of a driving mistake in a big ass sand bowl and the vehicle wouldnt budge, it was facing upwards in every direction, so i actaully aired down to 10 front and 7 back...
got it out, then aired back up to 15 front by 12 back....

they say in extreme cases , you can go down to 5 psi if all else fails, but you have to basically drive like a turtle on those settings until you get out of whatever situation you got yourself in....

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Rhazer, fascinating, technical stuff! Thanks for teaching. :)

Land Rover Joe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Folks,

Ok- I am bringing out another old thread.

Has anyone else been having recent problems with sand? I do quite a bit of desert driving (mostly with Land Cruisers) and have gotten the LR4 stuck in some deep sand (my fault) some time back. Dug it out fine (at 2 in the morning) and recovered the other vehicles I had been called out to help.... after my entry upon the “scene of the crime.”

My experience is that the LR4 is simply too heavy for deep sand, and I imagine that is the root of your problems in climbing dunes in the Middle East. I haven't personally tried climbing dunes here. Has bringing the tire pressure down made a substantial difference in the handling and performance of the truck for you?

Thanks for the posting and look forward to anyone’s sand experiences-
Land Rover Joe

rokurbas

Reaction score
I have a 2010 LR4 V6. I live in Dubai and went for my first desert ride for the first time a week ago. By reading all the possible forums i was worried that the car is too weak, too heavy and what have you. My expectation was it is going to just dig in at the first glimpse of sand.

What happened was a complete opposite. We went to the Fossil rock. Landie felt quite at home in the desert. Even with stock 255/60 R18 Michelin road tires I had no problems climbing dunes. As long as you are keeping momentum it goes perfectly. I did got stuck two times, but this was due to my inexperience, since i was stopping in a really deep sand. Both times got pulled out quickly.

I have upgraded the tires to All Terrain Yokohama Geolandar 275/60 R18. It is completely different experience. However you should take into account that road handling will be degraded. If you also use the car as a daily driver. I would not go wider than 265.

As far as the settings are concerned. I used the standard, desert mode, DSC Off. I deflated the tires to 17PSI. I recommend raising to Off road height only if the ride is technically difficult (e.g. you are going slow). In the flat desert you occasionally go above 50 kph, which lowers the car automatically. If you keep raising it back the compressor can overheat, so it might not be able to raise the car when you get to the difficult bits, when you need the height not to damage the bumpers.

So deflate the tires and have a friend with you in case you need pulling out.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Rhazer, fascinating, technical stuff! Thanks for teaching. :)
Hey Count!!!

I agree, this is very cool talk - especially if I go to Pismo Beach.

Hey, I sent you a Private Message last week - did you get it? I was telling you that I also work in Foster City!

-David

Land Rover Joe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
rokurbas,

Thanks for the note! I hope you did not get the wrong impression from my post; I do not feel that the LR4 (granted, I drive the NAS gasoline V8) is underpowered...absolutely not. However, my experience with the LR4 in sand (especially deep sand) is that it is so heavy it tends to "dig in." As you said--by keeping the speed up, tire pressure as low as possible, and avoiding stopping and the deep sand...no worries at all. My problems in sand with the LR4, as I noted, were 100% operator error (wrong place, wrong time, should have known better).

I agree: 17 PSI is a good pressure, although you could go even lower if needed (12) depending on the tire. And save off-road height for rocks: speed is life in sand so faster is better given consideration for control.

My question was really related to dune driving...which I still have not done in the LR4 (but have in Toyota Land Cruisers and Hilux's). I still feel the size of the truck is simply to big to attack a big sand dune head-on. A light rabbit truck like the Hilux can zip up dunes and crest with minimal problems (so can a Defender). But the LR4 is way, way cooler...

I see you are driving the Yoko's. How do you like them? I drive the 19" Goodyear Wrangler MT-R, but those are no longer available in 19" for the newer kevlar production. I (and my wife too) love the MT-R's for both performance and look. Also, I see you have 18" tires; which rims are you sporting and how do you like those for off-road driving?

Thanks All and cheers from Africa,
Land Rover Joe

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
rokurbas,

Thanks for the note! I hope you did not get the wrong impression from my post; I do not feel that the LR4 (granted, I drive the NAS gasoline V8) is underpowered...absolutely not. However, my experience with the LR4 in sand (especially deep sand) is that it is so heavy it tends to "dig in." As you said--by keeping the speed up, tire pressure as low as possible, and avoiding stopping and the deep sand...no worries at all. My problems in sand with the LR4, as I noted, were 100% operator error (wrong place, wrong time, should have known better).

I agree: 17 PSI is a good pressure, although you could go even lower if needed (12) depending on the tire. And save off-road height for rocks: speed is life in sand so faster is better given consideration for control.

My question was really related to dune driving...which I still have not done in the LR4 (but have in Toyota Land Cruisers and Hilux's). I still feel the size of the truck is simply to big to attack a big sand dune head-on. A light rabbit truck like the Hilux can zip up dunes and crest with minimal problems (so can a Defender). But the LR4 is way, way cooler...

I see you are driving the Yoko's. How do you like them? I drive the 19" Goodyear Wrangler MT-R, but those are no longer available in 19" for the newer kevlar production. I (and my wife too) love the MT-R's for both performance and look. Also, I see you have 18" tires; which rims are you sporting and how do you like those for off-road driving?

Thanks All and cheers from Africa,
Land Rover Joe
Hey Land Rover Joe,

I am definitely not answering for rokurbas, but I know he is lucky to have a Discovery 4, and even luckier that they come with 18" wheels! :) Alexcorral brags about this all the time - hehe! :)

Those of us with NAS LR4s (gasoline) have only 19" or 20" wheels and if you go with the 18" wheels the only option are the Compomotive PD1880s:

http://www.comp.co.uk/wheels/wheels.asp?section=pd-30-13

A lot of the LR4 guys switch to the 18" wheels because there are so many more tire options! I thought about it for a little while, but decided to keep my 19" wheels because the Cooper Zeon LTZs became available in the 255/55/R19 size earlier this year and I love them! Plus, I am not sure if I am keeping the truck another year or so and likely will order a 2013 or 2014 - it depends.

I am REALLY enjoying this post!

-David

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9