LR4 Navigation Update...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheWidup

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This map update doesn't include any other main system updates or improvements, right? I was just looking at it and it's marked down to $149 right now from LR but I'm not sure it's worth it if it's only maps.

iconoclast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This map update doesn't include any other main system updates or improvements, right?

Nope. The firmware did not change only LR/RR have firmware updates for the vehicle unless you know someone who can get them for you. Again other Marques will sell them to you or give them to you for free but LR/RR does not.

Just use a cell phone ap.

For me it's not an option. I absolutely hate having devices stuck on the windshield or laying around the dash along with wires draped across the vehicle. I'd rather have the OE system with OE integration than look like an Uber driver or lost tourist in a rental.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just use a cell phone ap.

As mentioned, I don't use the onboard nav. Google Maps is my preferred app (sometimes Waze for extended road trips). I was just mourning the loss of the Brit female voice in the various system prompts on my '13 Landy.

It's not the same when it comes out of some app on my phone; doesn't have the soul of the Land Rover's gal gently bossing me through my route.:p

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For me it's not an option. I absolutely hate having devices stuck on the windshield or laying around the dash along with wires draped across the vehicle. I'd rather have the OE system with OE integration than look like an Uber driver or lost tourist in a rental.

^^^ ...Had to be said! I get it.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I get it but "installed tech" is always a disaster. Outdated and slow and feels like a Fisher Price toy in 5 years or less. I wish there was a way to upgrade the tech easily. The LR nav in my 2010 is so bad compounded by the $100's of dollars required to keep it up to date. As soon as it gets updated it is out of date. Around where I live there is a ton of construction with sporadic road/lane closures. The free cell phone aps are updated nearly daily.

The solution in my old Honda Ridgeline was an aftermarket head unit but unfortunately with LRs integration I wouldn't even want to attempt that route.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To me, the whole point of Carplay or the Android equivalent is that it relies a lot more on the tech in your phone than the tech in your car, and a phone is really easy to update.

iconoclast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately up until now AAPL did not allow WAZE to be used through CarPlay but even now the integration is awful and in it's infancy. Again, nothing compares to OE in terms of ease of use, functionality and integration but it was designed and created for a specific platform and it's components. A phone is not and is a "one size fits all" approach and the end result is this janky user interface and functionality. Only thing worse are the "apps" JLR offers to download. Each one worse than the last and rarely ever function as desired. Such a waste of time and space.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately up until now AAPL did not allow WAZE to be used through CarPlay but even now the integration is awful and in it's infancy. Again, nothing compares to OE in terms of ease of use, functionality and integration but it was designed and created for a specific platform and it's components. A phone is not and is a "one size fits all" approach and the end result is this janky user interface and functionality. Only thing worse are the "apps" JLR offers to download. Each one worse than the last and rarely ever function as desired. Such a waste of time and space.

Sure, but the point is that you can use Waze on Carplay now (or at least soon; not sure), and the momentum is definitely pointing towards allowing more apps to be used on Carplay. The only limitation is the phone; not the car.

With virtually any stock car system that doesn't have Carplay or Android, you're stuck with what you had the day you bought the car. And virtually every stock car system is irremovable because they almost all control some other function in the car, like the HVAC system, heated seats, etc.

iconoclast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not true... even without CarPlay BMW offers OTA updates on iDrive 5.0+ equipped vehicles. Audi is working with NVidia to make removable chipsets where you can upgrade your tech like you used to on desktop/tower PC with plug and play bits. Again, I prefer factory integration and functionality. On my X5M the navigation has updated automatically several times along with certain portions of the iDrive. It uses RTTI through Inrix which is what WAZE and GOOG use. I love it and do not have any complaints. Just my preference and opinion. If you like CarPlay or like mounting an iPhone or iPad to your windshield with wires strewn about like squid ink linguine by all means do so. If I really cared about having the most up to date automotive tech I probably wouldn't be in a LR or RR to begin with.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM