LR4 Ok with LR3 18" Wheel?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrdecks

Reaction score
Hoping someone can help me out. I have a 2010 LR4 and want to get some offroad knobby tires so I'm replacing the the standard 19" wheels with some 2009 LR3 18" wheels. Just checking but will there be any issues using the LR3 18" wheels of the LR4, such as rotor size etc or am I good to go?

Looking to put the BFG AT 265/65 R18's on the 18" wheels.

Thanks for the help!

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Probably will not work. If it were that easy, we wouldn't all be buying the spendy compomotive wheels.

mrdecks

Reaction score
LR3 Wheels won't work on the LR4?

Really? I'm getting mixed reviews. 2 LR shops in the area said they would fit. Can anyone else confirm there would be issues using the LR3 18" wheel on the LR4?

RBA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You will need to grind down the calipers slightly or get spacers.

Bhos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You will need spacers (1.25") and they will fit just fine.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check your states laws. Spacers are sometimes illegal, either always or a certain width.

They also seem to require a lot of maintenance, you have to check them often. (at least thats what the spacer companies recommend.

I read very mixed things on spacers, but a lot of people don't consider them to be as safe as a proper wheel. 1.25" seems like a lot, compared to the small increase in offset from something like the compomotive wheels.

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check your states laws. Spacers are sometimes illegal, either always or a certain width.

They also seem to require a lot of maintenance, you have to check them often. (at least thats what the spacer companies recommend.

I read very mixed things on spacers, but a lot of people don't consider them to be as safe as a proper wheel. 1.25" seems like a lot, compared to the small increase in offset from something like the compomotive wheels.

A few years ago, Porsche offered factory spacers for some of their sports cars (on all states I presume), so I doubt that they are categorically illegal, but as you mentioned, 1.25" is a lot, especially on such a heavy car. Porsche sports cars weigh between 3000-3500lbs and the spacers were 10-20mm I believe.

I would not go down that route, personally.

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ugh, I forgot these use lug nuts.

Porsche, as with all (most?) German cars use wheel lug bolts, so the spacer is really just that - a flat piece of metal with holes that just gets sandwiched between the wheel and the hub by slightly longer bolts.

I would never use wheel spacers with studs. My personal opinion.

mrdecks

Reaction score
wow, thanks for all of the insight everyone. i want to keep this simple. so to really dumb this down, is the easiest and best option (although not cheapest) to simply get the compmotive wheels from the UK? Is that the only option that won't require any modification to add the BFG AT 265/65/R18s?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ngomac