LR4 Tire Sizes in All Terrain or Mud?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jameswalkertx

Reaction score
I am going to pick up my new 2013 LR4 on Thursday this week and I was curious what is the largest tire you can fit onto a stock vehicle with no lift?

Also what options are out there for replacing the stock tires with All Terrain or Mud Tread?

I have an LR3 that I will also be keeping around and we went through some pain to find the largest tires we could fit on a stock vehicle and have the pressure sensors still operate correctly. We ended up with Nito Terra Grappler All Terrain I believe.

Any help would be appreciated!

jameswalkertx

Reaction score
Thanks

I appreciate the feedback.

The LR4 I want to keep stock, but I may have to try the rods on the LR3?

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
James, I recommend you looking at the johnsonrod website as they list popular tire sizes and if you need to have rods or modifications or stock height.

http://johnsonrods.com/johnson_rods_2_004.htm
I think the only caveat to that website is that the 265/65R18 tire size should be "recommended" and not required. I have been told by Barry at Compomotive and Gordon at Green Oval Experience that you can run 265/65R18 without modifications to the height or wheel well, but there may be slight rubbing at full wheel lock - mostly in the rear. I know mbw runs GY Wrangler Silent Armor in 265/65R18 with no issues at all and I know of a lady who runs the BFG A/Ts in 265/65R18 at standard height and no modifications. The thing with the BFGs you may run into is that it needs to be deflated a lot to properly stow it under the truck.

Here is a link to Green Oval:

http://www.greenovalexperience.com/#!18-inch-rims/cglk

This is also VERY helpful - he has put together an amazing spread sheet based off a lot of data collected over the past couple years:

http://www.greenovalexperience.com/#!documents-info/cbbz

Last edited:

alexcorral

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are there any issues with running a larger overall wheel size with the ABS or any other system?

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not really, as long as the overall circumference matches the other running wheels, the car doesn't care how large the overall size of your wheels and tires is, and every system will perform as usual w/o issues. Your speedo may not reflect your actual speed as accurately (although the satnav will automatically self recalibrate) and your mpg estimates from the trip computer may be off a bit, but they already are... Depending on the footprint and type of tread, fuel usage may be negatively affected as well. Of course, more flex from a taller sidewall, a less street-friendly tread and a marginally higher center of gravity also mean that TC and/or DSC may kick in more often than before when negotiating turns at relatively high speeds, but that's what those systems are supposed to do.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99