LR4 Transmission Fluid Change: Pan Swap Option

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

joecool509

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So i finished the install yesterday (took a little over 5qts) and it went fairly well. it is very difficult getting to the front and rear pan screws (I recommend a mini ratching bit holder for the T40. ) and the heat shield removal was slow (Racheting 8mm box wrench is your friend)

Also it wasn't clear in the post but you need to top it off with the car running.

I should have just done a standard fluid change at 78K. This would have saved me a lot of trouble. The transmission shifts much better for sure.

joecool509

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recommend taking the shift cable off (the top nut). I didn't jack up the drive line. maybe I should have to get some more room.

Pfunk951

Full Access Member
Reaction score
MBW- is that video new? Looks like they already went through this, I had no idea!

Mike

joecool509

Full Access Member
Reaction score
MBW- is that video new? Looks like they already went through this, I had no idea!

Mike
Yes. They didn't even stock them until 2 weeks ago. I ordered mine before they hit the shelves. Some good stuff in the video.

stufrowin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mike,

They could have at least given you and this thread a little credit in the video!:)

I used the ZF lifeguard but I am inclined to use the febi bilstein or any other equivalent on next change. $10/L seems reasonable. I use a lot of Amsoil products for other applications maybe I'll even try their ATF.

Stuart

Pfunk951

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No doubt! I think we all threw a lot of info into this that wound up in the video, they elaborated on some stuff but anyone who contributed should be getting some credit (read: discounts)!:D

We started it!

Mike

djkaosone

'11 LR4 HSE LUX 5.0L V8
Reaction score
Thanks for all the info in this thread. I recently sourced and purchased everything for this maintenance. The tranny oil from www.rmeuropean.com and the conversion kit from www.brit-car.co.uk (cheapest online shipped to California).

Britpart have informed me that part number DA2142 is on back order as of 2/17/2017.
The parts below from alternate suppliers that should fit, if anyone is interested.

Land Rover - LR007474 - £ 109.93 (OEM stock plastic 1 piece w/filter)
Allmakes - TF2142 - £ 75.05 (Terrafirma's 2 piece conversion kit complete)
Bearmach - LR007474P - £ 115.10 (2 piece conversion kit complete)

I ended up going with Allmakes AKA maker of Terrafirma.

Pfunk951

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A word of warning/something I noticed:

I googled the Allmakes TF2142 and found this:

http://www.ribblevalley4x4.com/allmakes/AM_TF2142.html

That's a 2 piece kit- with no visible drain plug.

Thought I'd mention that to the folks who are preparing to buy, that would be tough to change the fluid later on without pulling a hose..

1k on the Febi, still shifting like a dream..

Mike

djkaosone

'11 LR4 HSE LUX 5.0L V8
Reaction score
Pfunk951, good catch. That was part of my analysis too, but forgot to mention it. Glad you pointed it out. I was actually planning on having my local shop weld an oil drain plug on.

The drain plug is a must have in my books, but it's a quick $20 fix.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut