LR5 Release Updates?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
... I know some SUVs with a single tailgate allow the rear window to be opened for this type of access. But I don't see it here.
Yeah, that's a great feature. I think some Toyotas do that. It's nice cuz you can drive with the rear window open which does a nice job creating clean airflow through the car on a nice day (or when somebody farts...it happens).

mpinco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I take it there is no way to simply open the upper window? Aside from using the lower half of the tailgate on the LR4 as a work space, to help load items or, to sit on or to stand on when accessing my roof rack, I also often accessed items from the cargo area buy merely opening the top half. Whether it was grocery bags or hiking gear, camera gear, outdoor clothing, whatever, I would load our most commonly accessed items, sometimes in storage bins next to the tailgate so we could access them merely by raising the upper half. I don't think that is an option on the new Discovery. I know some SUVs with a single tailgate allow the rear window to be opened for this type of access. But I don't see it here.

Agreed Dan. Thinking 90%+ of our rear access is upper tailgate only. Load is arranged according to what we need. Dealing with a single large tailgate is a pain, motorized or not.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As I was thinking about this it struck me that you won't be able to stand on the "lower" half of the tailgate to access the roof or whatever. At least not that I can see. Probably not of interest to the vast majority of people. But I do it a fair bit to get to my roof rack/basket. For example, for those who put a spare tire on the roof, how are you going to get it up/down? Admittedly, most roof top cargo boxes now open from the side as nearly every vehicle out there except for the LR3/4 and Land Cruisers/Lexus LX (and X5?) have gone to the one-piece lift gate. But I think for some it is often used. To do this on my LR4 and LC you drop down the lower half of the lift gate then lower the top have to get it out of the way and voila, you can stand on the lower half shelf to access the roof or otherwise use as a height-gaining platform. But I don't see how they would do that in the new Discovery. I thought maybe that platform would slide out from somewhere in the rear bumper so you could use it with the tailgate close. But that clearly is not how it works. Again, this is probably only of interest to a very small number of people. Maybe only me.

stew77

Reaction score
As I was thinking about this it struck me that you won't be able to stand on the "lower" half of the tailgate to access the roof or whatever. At least not that I can see. Probably not of interest to the vast majority of people. But I do it a fair bit to get to my roof rack/basket. For example, for those who put a spare tire on the roof, how are you going to get it up/down? Admittedly, most roof top cargo boxes now open from the side as nearly every vehicle out there except for the LR3/4 and Land Cruisers/Lexus LX (and X5?) have gone to the one-piece lift gate. But I think for some it is often used. To do this on my LR4 and LC you drop down the lower half of the lift gate then lower the top have to get it out of the way and voila, you can stand on the lower half shelf to access the roof or otherwise use as a height-gaining platform. But I don't see how they would do that in the new Discovery. I thought maybe that platform would slide out from somewhere in the rear bumper so you could use it with the tailgate close. But that clearly is not how it works. Again, this is probably only of interest to a very small number of people. Maybe only me.

Your thoughts are spot on Dan. This is yet another plus in the flexibility of having a truly split-tailgate. You use/used it to access your roof rack/basket and full size spare. I also use this to access our roof rack/bike rack. Extremely convenient IMO!!! Comes in especially handy in loading the centrally located bikes when we are carrying 4 up top.

So there are at least two of us that use the split-tailgate like this, so I'm sure there are more. Definitely a fan, and truly wish they had gone with a true split-tailgate instead of the Full tailgate + optional power split that lowers from the inside for the new Discovery. Oh well...

crash1121

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don’t know about you folks, but I love having to manhandle our tailgates and seats. The new electric tailgate and seats will indeed be very convenient for mommies on the go, though! ;)

For the record, I’m not whining about those new features—they were inevitable additions for obvious reasons. LR just better not throw that crap on the new Defender. :D

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don’t know about you folks, but I love having to manhandle our tailgates and seats. The new electric tailgate and seats will indeed be very convenient for mommies on the go, though! ;)

For the record, I’m not whining about those new features—they were inevitable additions for obvious reasons. LR just better not throw that crap on the new Defender. :D

I was actually pondering this today. If there is a soccer mom depending on all 7 seats to lug a family around and the new fancy electric motorized gizmo breaks, is it still possible to manually get the seat in position and locked or will little Timmy be left behind with no useable seat?

Call me old fashioned, but I like the simplicity of the LR3/4 seats. I do not need more things to worry about breaking.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I had my 2014 Acura MDX it has a powered lift gate. Though it was convenient at times, most often it drove me nuts. That is because I am too darn impatient. Whether due to weather (standing in the rain) or something heavy in my hands or just plain in a hurry it always seemed like it took forever for the lift gate to get all the way up. And if I tried to "help" it it would "fight back". Didn't work for me.

Now I am sure there are many who like the automation. Personally, I like the "control" to be able to "just do it".

And I'm not sure the powered seat configuration is any different. In the video it seemed very slow although I guess there is some time savings in that multiple seats can be moving at once.

As for soccer moms, I expect most of them will have their car set up one way 99% of the team. The only question would be speedy, simple access to the 3rd row as the kids are piling into the car.

It is an interesting thing, though. Can we reach the point where supposedly clever automation just plain gets in the way? Where we have carried it too far? Certainly with many things in life the "automation" first seemed strange or different or a hassle and now we take it for granted. But I do think that at some point it becomes too much.

"Hey, Alexa, grill the burgers and bring me a beer."

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can we reach the point where supposedly clever automation just plain gets in the way? Where we have carried it too far? Certainly with many things in life the "automation" first seemed strange or different or a hassle and now we take it for granted. But I do think that at some point it becomes too much. "Hey, Alexa, grill the burgers and bring me a beer."

I completely agree. Setting up the third row seats on the LR4 is a breeze after you do it once and learn how. Do we really need to fold/unfold seats using our smart phone? Just a fun party trick to impress your friends. And I always thought the automatic tailgate on our Q7 was too slow as well.

A friend just bought new bulbs for his house that have an IP address and he connected them to his Echo. How lazy are you when you would rather have Alexa turn on lights than exert yourself flicking a light switch. Again, another party trick to show your friends.

Last edited:

Hayseed_LR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A friend just bought new bulbs for his house that have an IP address and he connected them to his Echo. How lazy are you when you would rather have Alexa turn on lights than exert yourself flicking a light switch.

It is not just being lazy - it is about time management. I mean, who has time to be flipping switches all day. There are more important things like being on your phone to lower your car seats...

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A friend just bought new bulbs for his house that have an IP address and he connected them to his Echo. How lazy are you when you would rather have Alexa turn on lights than exert yourself flicking a light switch. Again, another party trick to show your friends.

Eh.. the same argument would be old timers whining about remote controls for a television. I have the Phillips HUE lights (IP wifi based control) in my living room for my home theater setup. There's unlimited configs and colors with the phone app, but what I like best is the remote control you buy which you can store 3 presets. It sits on my coffee table and I can click for full room lighting and click one of the presets for dim theater lighting. I've also got ambient throw lighting in blue in the corners when the mood strikes. Best of all.. that remote takes zero batteries! It generates its own power when you click the buttons. Amazing tech!

I've also got the lights set up on my Harmony remote too now. One stop for everything.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM