LT 285/65/18 Cooper Discoverer STT pro all terrain

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

m_lars

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While it gets mentioned that 1” ‘lift’ via IIDtool helped, it doesn’t change anything whatsoever in the full function and clearance of these tires. The strut will move and that 1” becomes irrelevant.

The only true ‘lift’ is to use the strut spacer which actually limits the fully tucked position where rubbing can occur. It’s kind of like having the HD steel spring kit on as far as the ride height and tire position.

That’s simply not true that a spacer is the only true lift.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@zelatore the LR3 is arguably the most capable stock Land Rover ever. While it's less modifiable and hence can't be made to do super ******** trails, I think saying it's best at fire roads is a bit silly. Of course it is, they are the easiest....but it can also do a black diamond rated technical trail stock, which is saying something.

As for the "true lift" comment...I think @jwest is trying to say that the IIDTool does not change the suspension geometry itself and hence is not a true lift. He is right. It will help you clear larger tires because you are making a higher EAS setting your default....but it is not really a lift. Personally, that's why I like it.

Last edited:

zelatore

Reaction score
@zelatore the LR3 is arguably the most capable stock Land Rover ever. While it's less modifiable and hence can't be made to do super ******** trails, I think saying it's best at fire roads is a bit silly. Of course it is, they are the easiest....but it can also do a black diamond rated technical trail stock, which is saying something.

As for the "true lift" comment...I think @jwest is trying to say that the IIDTool does not change the suspension geometry itself and hence is not a true lift. He is right. It will help you clear larger tires because you are making a higher EAS setting your default....but it is not really a lift. Personally, that's why I like it.

I think we have different ideas of what a 'black diamond' trail is....:D

My idea of a 'black diamond' trail is the Rubicon or Fordyce. And while I did do the full Rubicon and even a bit of Fordyce with my LR3 (without body damage!) it's FAR from stock and I wouldn't do it again - it was far to stressful and too much work to be enjoyable. And I used every inch of my armor (sliders, gas tank skid, tcase skid, front ARB bumper, rear custom bumper) - A LOT. Several times the lack of break-over and clearance under the truck meant I simply had to drag it with the winch as it was 2 or 3 tires off the ground. That's also down to the lack of suspension travel.

It's good for a stock vehicle. But it's not and never will be a "black diamond" level crawler. Too big, too heavy, too little suspension travel, too small tires, etc.

I realize most of you on this forum don't know me as I don't typically post here. Jwest knows me from other forums. I've wheeled my LR3 as hard as anybody, but these days it mostly gets used for the easy stuff and the D1 does the real trails. To paraphrase - a Rover's got to know it's limits!

But hey, I'd be happy to invite you along to our next Rubicon run - it's been done in an LR3 before so come on down! (no seriously, if you want to run it we go out several times a year and you're welcome to join us)

m_lars

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Pretty sure zelatore has run the rubicon in his lr3...

I’m still not sure about adjusting ride height via software not being lift. It sits higher, it’s lifted.

Last edited:

zelatore

Reaction score
285/65 is not the best choice for the factory 8” wheels. The guy above w 265/70 has the best size because they provide max height while fitting the best during turning as well tucking into fenders at full compression.

285/65 is a lot wider than the 265/70 and without the full spectrum of physical mods, they’ll run like hell in several places.

While it gets mentioned that 1” ‘lift’ via IIDtool helped, it doesn’t change anything whatsoever in the full function and clearance of these tires. The strut will move and that 1” becomes irrelevant.

The only true ‘lift’ is to use the strut spacer which actually limits the fully tucked position where rubbing can occur. It’s kind of like having the HD steel spring kit on as far as the ride height and tire position.

I agree with everything jwest said above, though perhaps I'd have phrased it a bit differently regarding the strut spacers. By themselves they don't provide any lift (assuming air - on a coil truck they would). They simply limit the up travel. If you are running a taller tire even with a GAP or rod lift you still can rub when you reach full tuck. The spacers prevent that. Of course they should be paired with limit straps to prevent excess down travel and risking CVs. So while the spacer kits will prevent rubbing at full stuff (or when on the bumpstops) they actually decrease total suspension travel.

zelatore

Reaction score

Yes. I was 'that guy' lol.

Pretty sure somebody else did it this year too, so it's not impossible, just a ton of work. A friend found one parked on the trail near the Tahoe side if it had gone through from the Loon side, but nobody was around. He was riding with some other people and couldn't stop to check up on it to see if they had broken and hiked out or were just camped further from the truck or ?? We never did find out who's truck it was and the full story.

m_lars

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes. I was 'that guy' lol.

Pretty sure somebody else did it this year too, so it's not impossible, just a ton of work. A friend found one parked on the trail near the Tahoe side if it had gone through from the Loon side, but nobody was around. He was riding with some other people and couldn't stop to check up on it to see if they had broken and hiked out or were just camped further from the truck or ?? We never did find out who's truck it was and the full story.

I saw that truck and attempt to find the owner on Instagram, I think it was bear republic expeditions. Bummer the mystery was never solved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@zelatore what I call a black diamond trail are ones that have a sign at the trail head with a black diamond on them.

I know you've done serious stuff...in all your rigs. My point...is that stock v stock the LR3 is ridiculously capable. That's really all.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I’m still not sure about adjusting ride height via software not being lift. It sits higher, it’s lifted.

It’s not a “lift” because it is generally accepted that a lift implies something more than stock can provide. You cannot really use 34” tires without the spacers or a body lift because you’d have to run the struts extended too far all the time. It would be ********, literally.

The compressor would possibly just **** itself after an hour on the highway at Plus 2”.
A lift in my mind is a physical and permanent change which simply raiseing the EAS as high as it can go anyway on its own, is nothing like.
Hence , it’s not a lift any more than just pressing the factory lever UP is a lift.

Also, the spacers lift the minimum zero air clearance by 2”. No electronics do that, period. Once again, lift vs not. ;)

I’m gonna need to chat w Mr Z about CV’s and limit straps...that I have left off for now... do I need to bring cv w me just in case? Probably.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72