Massachusetts Owners

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bushway9172

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This may be better suited for the Regional section of the forum, but I don't think those posts get checked very often... so here we go:

I may be back on Cape Cod for the summer, looking at getting an ORV (off road vehicle) Permit for Sandy Neck Beach in Sandwich and/or Race Point Beach in Provincetown.

I know there are a few other MA guys... Has anyone gotten the permits? Are they worth it? Can you ride the trails that go behind the dunes at Sandy Neck? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

baobay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not worth it! You cannot ride the trails on sandy neck. The permits are strictly to go on the beach for Bon fires and the such but not for off-roading on the dunes. That's illegal in MA. They close the beach most of the time anyways bc of pipping plovers.

bushway9172

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Not the answer I was hoping for, but I'm not surprised. Any word on Race Point?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

baobay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Not the answer I was hoping for, but I'm not surprised. Any word on Race Point?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Race Point is the same. They arrested a Saudi National a few years ago for taking his Range Rover off road on the dunes in Sandy neck. Basically the off road permit is only for taking your vehicle on the beach. As I mentioned previously, sometimes they close the beaches indefinitely depending on the nesting pattern of the birds. My neighbor got a permit a couple years ago and couldn't use it but once bc of that.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I get a Duxbury beach pass every year. It's simply to get you on the sand with the kids, kids toys, lawn chairs and dog. And last year the beach was closed for half the summer due to the nesting plovers.

baobay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you ever heard the saying: "welcome to Taxachusettes, where is your permit?"

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think it feels like "Taxachusetts" if you never lived anywhere else. I moved here from New York years ago and NY is worse. NY real estate taxes are nearly double the MA rates, and you pay over 8% tax on everything.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You guys should try CA if you want to talk about taxes!!! I was born, raised, went to college, etc. in MA and it's a lot cheaper (except for right in Boston). I also lived in CT and it was full of taxes.

More on topic, Brandon - DO NOT GET THE PERMIT! :) I know you and I can just see a text from you that you have been arrested for driving off road illegaly. You would not be able to resist it and then you would send me incrimnating photos of you driving through some endangered bird's nesting ground. HAHAHAHAHA!

bushway9172

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hahaha David... Yeah maybe I'll just stick to the beach parking lot like everyone else.

baobay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Trust me you DO NOT want to deal with the Environmental Police in MA. I used to ride ATVs a lot and I know how nasty these guys can get. They are especially active on the Cape in the Spring/Summer months.
As David said, don't waste your money on a permit unless you just want to go on the beach for the occasional bon fire...that is if there are no nesting birds.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9