Still think i should drive a little first?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Socialseb83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
0EE87EC9-FC23-4B4C-A988-9FD468F13273.png
2AB8C61E-523D-4CF2-B46E-DCD01DCA5B4D.png
As a noob, I’ve gotten lots of great advice on here, mainly telling me that before i go buying ANY parts for my LR4, i should try driving it as is and then figuring out what i need.

the thing is, the two images here are my current tires. they are what came on the vehicle when i bought it.

Should i not AT LEAST get offroad tires before trying to do my first bit of off-roading? Or am i safe to try it out on these? To me these look like highway tires.
These are Lionhart tires 255/55r19 and as you can see they are not new.

Anyone in Houston, who knows where i may start off-roading as a noob bc they know the offroad scene here, would be a big help in telling me the types of tires that at best in our neck of the woods.

so do i try it with these tires or do i need new tires before i try it?

Bryan Jones

The guy with the 35's
Reaction score
The LR4 is more than capable of surviving with those tires on a light trail. More aggressive tires would definitely allow you to do more difficult trails though

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
View attachment 10138 View attachment 10137 As a noob, I’ve gotten lots of great advice on here, mainly telling me that before i go buying ANY parts for my LR4, i should try driving it as is and then figuring out what i need.

the thing is, the two images here are my current tires. they are what came on the vehicle when i bought it.

Should i not AT LEAST get offroad tires before trying to do my first bit of off-roading? Or am i safe to try it out on these? To me these look like highway tires.
These are Lionhart tires 255/55r19 and as you can see they are not new.

Anyone in Houston, who knows where i may start off-roading as a noob bc they know the offroad scene here, would be a big help in telling me the types of tires that at best in our neck of the woods.

so do i try it with these tires or do i need new tires before i try it?

Unfortunately, there is not much of a scene in/around Houston. Texas has very little publicly owned, accessible land.

There are a couple of unpaved tracks around Sam Houston National Forest, IIRC. There is some beach access available along the coast, and some ORV parks around. There are some "illicit" urban off-roadish trails on vacant land if you keep your eyes open, but be prepared to be run off if you venture that route.

Best bet is to own, or know someone who owns private land.

There is an active Texas Rover's group, and the SCARR event takes place around Tyler each year.

Mine sees most of it's off pavement time on various hunting leases or in Colorado/New Mexico.

ETA: If you need a shop locally, I recommend British Auto Solutions in Katy. It is run by a former longtime dealer tech named Joel. His place is the only local shop I patronize if I don't want to tackle a project myself. Tell him the guy with "the" white LR4 sent you. He'll know who you are referring to.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't go seeking mud with those tires, but they could work okay off road in dry conditions.

I went to a local offroad park on street Michelins. Wasn't great, but worked fine.

If you drive to Utah, street tires work fine on the slickrock.

Socialseb83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I want to invest in some off-road driving training. I assume that will require me to try some easy tracks and possibly something harder? I would hate for my lessons to be cut short due to my instructor not feeling good about my tires. That's why I'm asking these questions. I'm thinking of getting something not terribly expensive like atturo trails just for the beginning, when I'm learning. That way I don't have to buy new wheels or spend too much money and can invest I training first. Then I will save up for something better, and i'll have more experience and have been around other work more experience too.
Does this seem sensible/reasonable to y'all? Or am I making some huge rookie mistake with this plan?

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Troy A

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I want to invest in some off-road driving training. I assume that will require me to try some easy tracks and possibly something harder? I would hate for my lessons to be cut short due to my instructor not feeling good about my tires. That's why I'm asking these questions. I'm thinking of getting something not terribly expensive like atturo trails just for the beginning, when I'm learning. That way I don't have to buy new wheels or spend too much money and can invest I training first. Then I will save up for something better, and i'll have more experience and have been around other work more experience too.
Does this seem sensible/reasonable to y'all? Or am I making some huge rookie mistake with this plan?

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

You've had a lot of good feedback from everybody on multiple threads. The major responses have been: 1) get some training and 2) put real tires/wheels on it (ideally 18" with good sidewalls, and probably LT (light truck) E-rated, high load index, 10 ply).

You could probably get away with putting some sort of 19" tires on there but you'll run into all the issues you've already heard - not enough tire selection, most of them are SUV/passenger rated, most of them will not survive long in real off-road conditions because of their weak sidewalls and you'll likely end up having to buy $1000 worth of tires now and then another $3K worth of "real wheels and tires" later.

Personally I like to "buy once, cry once" vs. keep buying replacements. I've tried going the cheap tire route and it cost me multiple tires, delays in my trips, and extra repair expenses. I won't make that mistake again.

I find it interesting that your initial starting list was probably $10K-15K worth of modifications (front and rear bumper, sliders, wheels / tires, and other stuff), yet you're balking at spending the first $3K on the most important thing of all. This is really the critical first step.

If you really didn't want to spend any money, then throw 19" tires on, be careful, hope for the best and get out there and don't spend any more money on it until you feel like you're really committed to this vehicle. That's my 2 (12?) cents.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You've had a lot of good feedback from everybody on multiple threads. The major responses have been: 1) get some training and 2) put real tires/wheels on it (ideally 18" with good sidewalls, and probably LT (light truck) E-rated, high load index, 10 ply).

You could probably get away with putting some sort of 19" tires on there but you'll run into all the issues you've already heard - not enough tire selection, most of them are SUV/passenger rated, most of them will not survive long in real off-road conditions because of their weak sidewalls and you'll likely end up having to buy $1000 worth of tires now and then another $3K worth of "real wheels and tires" later.

Personally I like to "buy once, cry once" vs. keep buying replacements. I've tried going the cheap tire route and it cost me multiple tires, delays in my trips, and extra repair expenses. I won't make that mistake again.

I find it interesting that your initial starting list was probably $10K-15K worth of modifications (front and rear bumper, sliders, wheels / tires, and other stuff), yet you're balking at spending the first $3K on the most important thing of all. This is really the critical first step.

If you really didn't want to spend any money, then throw 19" tires on, be careful, hope for the best and get out there and don't spend any more money on it until you feel like you're really committed to this vehicle. That's my 2 (12?) cents.

This.

If you know you're going to go the 18" tire route eventually, any money you spend on 19" tires will be money further away from 18" wheels and tires.

Look to see if your local Land Rover dealership has any "off road" events. Those are normally pretty good for newbies, and most people there in a 2006 or newer vehicle will probably be on street tires or something relatively tame.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72