Max towing -- 2012 V8

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jrb1

Reaction score
What's the max people have done?

Spec is 7,716 lbs.

Is it a hitch limitation; since the 2021 Defender is listed as 8,201 lbs.

Might need to move my Catalina 270 sailboat about 40 miles pretty level terrain - boat is about 6700 and another 1000 for the trailer (and add another 1000 or so) -- ant chance?

TIA,

Jim

jlach993

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve pulled double that weight for a very very short distance without any braking or inclines. The LR4 pulled it easily lol. I was too scared to go any further and tow normally. Not worth messing the diff and ****** up.

fireangel1313

Reaction score
Depending on how far you are going and the terrain, hilly vs. flat; highway vs. side streets, and as long as the hitch load isn't much more than 770Lbs you might be okay. The physics involved between the trailer and the LR4 becomes more of an issue depending on the terrain involved IMO. The 770lb rating of the hitch has a safety factor built into it to account for the momentary forces on the hitch itself, but who knows what that is so sticking with what the manufacturer states is best practice of course. There are ways around that though, like a longer tongue on the trailer to move the load further back. If the trailer has WORKING brakes that would make a difference to me as well. As far as actually pulling power, the LR4 has lots of it! Short distances you won't damage much unless the transmission gets overheated. When it comes to control, the short wheel base of the LR4 might provide a challenge with some trailers. If the trailer were to start swaying back and forth the LR4 wouldn't have the length to counteract it, so just take it slow. I'm sure others have their opinions.

f1racer328

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2012 has 550 lbs tongue weight maximum not 770!!!!
I've observed this in the manual, yet the hitch insert states 770. I think someone got to the bottom of this discrepancy in another thread, but I don't remember what the result was.

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV