mechanics of exterior lights: problem?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

joyce

Reaction score
2013 LR4 HSE LUX HD PACK SIRIUS VISION ASSIST- i have selected the auto lamps on feature and sometimes i have an illuminated icon on my panel and sometimes not. i have found that when i don't see the icon- i also can't see an icon for the front or rear fog lamps if selected. i have been assuming that perhaps it's because the system senses that light is not needed- or that it is somehow connected to the lamps on feature. but sometimes it is on during daylight hours. haven't been able to figure it out. is there a connection between being able to activate fog lamps and the auto feature? in addition- if i switch side lamps on- i am able to activate the fogs. if i switch to low beam headlamps on- i can only activate the fogs if i choose the rear option first. the high beam assist does work when i have the auto lamps selected and it's dark out, and i travel more than 25mph. does this sound familiar?

Last edited:

AxelR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On mine, the front fog lights turn off when the high beams are on...
Sometimes when flashing your brights it turns off the auto high beams...
Hopefully this helps a little

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What illuminated icon are you talking about? The green "Auto" low beam one? That only turns on if your headlights are on (the "Auto" icon indicates that HBA is operational, and goes away if you disable it.) I can select front or rear fogs independently of each other regardless of whether I select auto headlights or manual, but the front ones go out when the high beams are on.

joyce

Reaction score
sorry if i haven't posed this question with a better description of the potential problem. with the lighting controls in the autolamps "on" position, the green illuminated icon in the tachometer and the blue illuminated icon in the speedometer which are illuminated when i start the car and pull it out of the garage, then turns off when i get in the light. at that point, neither the front or rear fog lamp warning lights illuminate (and neither do the actual lamps). i assumed that i can only use the fog lamps if the lights are on? also- i was under the impression that if the auto lamps option is selected, the green illuminated icon should stay on whether or not it is activated? with regards to the other part of my issue- side lamp and low beam headlamps- how does that interface with fog lamp usage?

AxelR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sorry if i haven't posed this question with a better description of the potential problem. with the lighting controls in the autolamps "on" position, the green illuminated icon in the tachometer and the blue illuminated icon in the speedometer which are illuminated when i start the car and pull it out of the garage, then turns off when i get in the light. at that point, neither the front or rear fog lamp warning lights illuminate (and neither do the actual lamps). i assumed that i can only use the fog lamps if the lights are on? also- i was under the impression that if the auto lamps option is selected, the green illuminated icon should stay on whether or not it is activated? with regards to the other part of my issue- side lamp and low beam headlamps- how does that interface with fog lamp usage?

The BLUE icon stands for the high beams. It shouldn't be on when you start the car.
Pull (or push) on the left hand lever and turn them off.
You'll then be able to use your fog lights (only when there's actual fog).
Also with the high beam assist selected (on), your high beams will turn on automatically when there is no oncoming traffic or cars ahead of you.
It is pretty easy to push the signal stalk when signaling a turn and turn on the high beams.

joyce

Reaction score
thanks for your suggestions. correction to my description before when starting the car: the icon on the speedometer is green. the blue icon only comes on (in the tachometer circle) when the brights are on.

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks for your suggestions. correction to my description before when starting the car: the icon on the speedometer is green. the blue icon only comes on (in the tachometer circle) when the brights are on.

With the lamps in auto, when you start your car in the garage, the headlights (low beam) will turn on and, correspondingly, so will the green icon for low beams. Your garage is dark, so the light sensor makes the lights come on automatically. As you exit the garage in daylight, the lights will turn off and so will the indicator since there is enough light and low beams are not needed.

joyce

Reaction score
quijote- the beam indicator indeed goes off, but should the icon that indicates the auto program is chosen go off?

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Every indicator in the instrument cluster extinguishes when the headlights turn off, and the "Auto" indicator under the green headlights icon means that High Beam Assist is currently active, not that the auto headlights program is chosen.

joyce

Reaction score
so it is NOT a problem that the high beam assist icon is not illuminated even if chosen?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut