Miserably failed cross axle obstacle (need off road help)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

beantmt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, I took my new 06 LR3 (SE V8) off-road today for the first time today. I was driving on a dry dirt with a small amount of gravel in places. I came across a fairly simple looking cross axle obstacle on an ascent (not too steep at all, maybe 25-degree). I drove right up to the obstacle in (D)rive in 4-hi at on-road height with no problems at all, right before the obstacle I put the LR3 in 4-low and off-road height and proceeded very slowly. On the first bump I lost traction and just sat there spinning. I never tried gunning it. I tried the grass-gravel-snow terrain response setting with the same result. While trying to climb, the DSC indicator flashed the the vehicle kinda convulsed a bit. I am new to off-roading (as you probably guessed at this point) and quite paranoid with the new car, so I didn't want to force the issue, so I turned around. A few minutes later an old Toyota pickup came down them just fine. I am quite sure my problem was user error, I am just wondering if anyone had any tips, I'm gonna go back tomorrow. I should probably get myself an instructional book or video!

beantmt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oops! I forgot to link this... The obstacle looked basically just like this one, except for the one I encountered was on an incline and the dirt was more dry and sandy.

YouTube - Colt cross axle

morrisdl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
set the terrain response program before you head into obstacles. It works much better in a proactive mode rather than reactive. You mentioned your new, so maybe its also your tires. All terrain tires (rather than all seasons) helps tremendously. Lowering tire pressure to 20psi also helps, but this can be a PITA if you dont have access to a pump to re inflate.

drzjoint

Full Access Member
Reaction score
turn off dsc as well (button on dash). use mud or sand setting 4low. what tires do you have?if stock go 25-20psi and plan on getting new tires.
if you are new to offroad contact a local LR club or your dealer they will both have events and you can start learning.

beantmt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oops, I was going to mention the tires too. I do just have the stock GY Wranglers, and their tread is average at best. I did realize this going into the obstacle, but it really didn't expect problems--maybe that was silly of me.

I am going to back today and try it with with more of a pro-active approach as suggested.

Speaking of tires... I am in northern Utah, so I need a tire that is good in the snow on the winter. I was first looking at the Cooper LTZs because they seem very popular on the LR forums. However, I was planning on getting the GY Wrangler SAs, because it seemed like they would be better in the snow. Any feedback? The vehicle will mostly be a Mom-mobile, btw, I will just be borrowing it on the weekends :)

morrisdl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put general At2 on both my LR3 and the xterra "mom mobile". The only comment I got from the 'mom' was that they look like they could eat small children in the parking lot. She really likes how they perform in the snow. i think they worked great off road, a bit deeper lug in the xterra size. ymmv.

BldrRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I live in Boulder, CO and drive in the snow almost every weekend in the winter to ski or play around. The Coopers have been great from the experiences that I have had. I haven't had any traction issues and I am used to driving good snow vehicles(Jeep and Audi). I would definately recommend the Coopers... they also look a lot cooler than the Goodyears in my opinion.

davez26

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Much of the above, especially the DSC, but just give a bit more gas. The car needs to fully reallize traction is limited before it starts implimenting the traction program. Some slippage and then off won't do it. If the car feels committed, it will go.

drzjoint

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put general At2 on both my LR3 and the xterra "mom mobile". The only comment I got from the 'mom' was that they look like they could eat small children in the parking lot. She really likes how they perform in the snow. i think they worked great off road, a bit deeper lug in the xterra size. ymmv.

My brother jusrt put yakima mud/snow on his xterra and wow a sick nice tire. I almost went with the AT2 but then went with the cooper .I like them alot. If I would not have not bought the Zeons I would have went with the Hankook Dynapro at10(rated better than the procomp and bfg at ko).

Last edited:

chomondely

Reaction score
Good Year Silent Armour

LR3 2006 6 cylinder, 78,000 miles.
I like everything about these tires EXCEPT the side wall resitance to puntures. I am replacing the 6th, yes the 6th tire, each due to sidewall puntire from Mesquite thorns.
If you are on rock, then you might be OK. Glad I got the warranty.
I am drinving over the same terrain as I did in my XC90. On the XC 90, I had Michelin tires with the D rated sidewalls. Never a puncture. I wish I could put them on the LR3.
I am often in very slick mud under all 4 tires. I always switch the dsc off.
Oh well, Discount Tire shoud have the 6th replacement in about 3 days. The manager said tha I hold the record for replacements.
At this rate, I'll never wear out the tread.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635