Misfire after timing chain job 5.0

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scott Gissel

Reaction score
Hi everyone. This is my first post. I’ve been searching around for hours, and haven’t found a solution. So here goes.

About a month ago I got camshaft correlation codes on bank 2 for the intake and exhaust cams. I found a failed tensioner on the drivers side. I replaced the guides, tensioners, tensioner blades, chains, crankshaft sprocket, and cam sprockets on both sides. I followed the workshop procedure. Lined up all marks, pulled pins on tensioners while applying tension to the chain, pretensioned cam sprockets to correct torque specs. Rotated crank 2 rotations and was able to reinstall cam locks, and crank position tool. After putting the motor back together, I attempted to start it today, and now instead of camshaft correlation codes, I am getting misfires from almost every cylinder.

My assumption is that I botched the timing job, but I’m open to ideas at this point.
Thanks in advance,
Scott

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Could also be a vacuum hose or something still disconnected/loose.

Scott Gissel

Reaction score
Thank you for the responses. I will certainly check both of those. I should also mention that I replaced all plugs and injectors while I was in there. 7 of the old injectors cracked on the way out, so it seemed like a good idea to replace them.

doc5339

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the responses. I will certainly check both of those. I should also mention that I replaced all plugs and injectors while I was in there. 7 of the old injectors cracked on the way out, so it seemed like a good idea to replace them.
Sounds like you were fastidious and careful. Drink a beer, slowly, then go back to the root-cause analysis.

Good luck and please let us know how it goes.

Scott Gissel

Reaction score
Alright, so I have confirmed that all vacuum lines and electrical connections are in their proper place. Prior to the timing event I never had any misfire codes. So I don’t believe that 7 of my coils failed in a month. Since the misfires are happening on both sides of the engine, I’m leaning towards my timing being off. So here is my question.

After lining up all of the marks, and releasing the tensioners, the next procedure is to rotate the crankshaft twice and check timing. Are the marks supposed to all line up after 720 degrees of crankshaft rotation? Or are you just checking that the cam locks and crank position lock can go back in place?

jlglr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don’t know the answer to your question, but maybe post up in the LR4 section if you don’t get any help here. The timing on this engine should be no different - quite a few people on there with experience in this area I believe.

rolledover

Reaction score
The marks won't line up after 2 rotations of the crankshaft. I just finished doing timing on a MY11 LR4 this weekend and that threw me off as well. The workshop manual assumes you know a lot, and just says to replace cam locks and CKP tool to verify timing. I was freaking out thinking I messed something up, then watched several youtube videos after my marks didn't line up either, and all the ones I could see were also off. I called my Indy who confirmed the marks on the chain are only there for initial alignment.

Scott Gissel

Reaction score
The marks won't line up after 2 rotations of the crankshaft. I just finished doing timing on a MY11 LR4 this weekend and that threw me off as well. The workshop manual assumes you know a lot, and just says to replace cam locks and CKP tool to verify timing. I was freaking out thinking I messed something up, then watched several youtube videos after my marks didn't line up either, and all the ones I could see were also off. I called my Indy who confirmed the marks on the chain are only there for initial alignment.
Thank you so much! That makes me feel a lot better. When you first fired the engine up after your timing service, did it idle correctly immediately?

rolledover

Reaction score
Thank you so much! That makes me feel a lot better. When you first fired the engine up after your timing service, did it idle correctly immediately?
I can't answer that yet as I'm still putting things back together and waiting on a few parts. Possibly will be able to start it up this weekend if my injectors show up. Latest should be next weekend. I'll post back and let you know.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV