Modernize the infotainment without hacking :P

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigBriDogGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm really enjoying all this creativity. This has been a hot topic on other threads as well. Lots of aftermarket upgrade options, but none of them seems to offer the perfect solution. For me, the perfect solution would be something that retains all the features and functionality of the original system while adding modern features and functionality the stock unit lacks. Also, it would be integrated into the existing hardware, so that you aren't having to tear your dash apart or rewire in new components. That's probably a pipe dream. Not even sure how something like that could be done. Not saying it's reasonable, but that's my ideal. Whatever comes closest to that would be my choice.

f1racer328

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the best solution is the Naviplus integration. Retains everything except the built in navigation. I think they also have the steering wheel controls sorted out now too.

I'm probably going to give one of these units a shot soon. I've been shopping around for Defenders and Discovery 5's, and I'm really jealous of the Pivi Pro Units they have.

Nechaken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the best solution is the Naviplus integration. Retains everything except the built in navigation. I think they also have the steering wheel controls sorted out now too.

I'm probably going to give one of these units a shot soon. I've been shopping around for Defenders and Discovery 5's, and I'm really jealous of the Pivi Pro Units they have.

Ventilated seats and modern nav would be on my wishlist. The one thing I really like about the LR4's factory nav is the breadcrumb option, and I'm not sure that's available on the Pivi system.

I'm a pretty big fan of this design --

Hopefully you can add your own images / icons to make it look a little less chintzy though.

Last edited:

DiscoLR4

Reaction score
That system looked great, but expensive I think. Reading long term reviews tend to point at one issue. Over time, these Android based units start showing their age. They get slow, unresponsive, restarts required, updates fail, etc etc. I'm sure they are not all that bad, some may offer value for money, but generally noticed poor long term reliability (there that weird again... Maybe Android was made to go with LR).

This all lead me to decide not to rip open dash and integrate the 3rd party system. I opted for something cheap and easy to replace, which I'm sure I'll need to in a year or two.

powershift

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ventilated seats and modern nav would be on my wishlist. The one thing I really like about the LR4's factory nav is the breadcrumb option, and I'm not sure that's available on the Pivi system.

I'm a pretty big fan of this design --

Hopefully you can add your own images / icons to make it look a little less chintzy though.

That looks good. I wonder about the GPS support. It has Nav, but w/out a strong location signal it can get problematic making my way around new metropolitan areas. Navigating the freeways, frontage roads, turn-offs and all that google gets confused w/out precision input. Thats why I have an old android 10 phone dedicated to nav. It is the last version of Android that I know about to connect to an external bluetooth GPS receiver and use maps with it. I put the receiver in the dash and it transmits 10 locations per second. The later androids like my Pixel 7 Pro, Maps won't connect to the external BTH receiver and use it, I have to use the embedded GPS and it sucks donky bals. If that LR4 upgraded Android unit supports external GPS's I'm interested.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72