Mold in the Radiator?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mark

Reaction score
I noticed some *floaty's* in the overflow tank and wonder what I am seeing?

The stuff floats like a mold or mildew.
The coolant is getting dark.

1. What is the stuff floating in the tank, and,
2. best method to change fluids?

greg409

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here comes the opinions,

I've always (last 40 yrs) flushed with plain water if there's no sediment buildup in core
Visible thru' top plug in rad.

The product I've used recently was prestone radiator CLEANER (not flush) - requires you to drive around normally for (2) days to really clean it out.

I'm lazy, so I cheated - 2 hrs, I couldn't believe the crap that the water rinsed out.

I pull top hose @ rad, (start engine) then keep filling thru' opening for top hose letting flush come out removed top hose.

Let it cool after clear, then drain from bottom hose.

I generally pour in about half a container of straight antifreeze (mixing with water in block)
then top it off thru top rad plug while running.

Fill resevoir to half after replacing top plug, drive around the block, let it cool, check resevoir again refilling to half if necessary.

luck,greg

alzerom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Save some to show to a radiator shop. It's always good to know what stuff is. Oil floats on water. Grab some with your finger and look closely at it, rub it, is it slippery? Not much grows on antifreeze and the overflow heat would certainly **** any microbe. You will probably get many opinions because no one wants to admit they don't know.

Mark

Reaction score
Maybe?

I talked with LR Wilmington NC today and made an appointment for tomorrow to flush the system.
The service manager asked about the rad fluid I put in after I told him I was putting stuff in because of the overflow tank and a hose replacement.
The last fluids I put in was an extended type (silicates).
He said it was "jelling".

Made sense the moment he said it.

I googles the jelling of rad fluid and found out the mixing some types (orange/green/yellow) would be fine. The stuff I put was a higher concentration of silicates.

Learned my lesson.

I cannot do a liquid change at the moment so am taking it to the dealer to handle the hazmat.

Thanks for the quick replies.

alzerom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's a valid answer, I'm satisfied. You are correct, silicates will do exactly that.

Mark

Reaction score
The dealer said to use Dexcool and to mix the solution. Not to buy the 50/50 mix.
I found out when I got home the coolant I put in was NOT Dexcool and was Prestone 50/50 mix extended life.

Lesson learned.

greg409

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think maybe you want to read the shop manual (download below in my sig.)

Dexcool is used in DII's as far as I know, the DI uses the green stuff (I've always used prestone or equiv. in mine) - DO NOT mix the two, but a thorough water flush is sufficient to remove whatever is in there.

I would ask the dealer to write down why it needs dexcool (other than it's more expensive)- he may refuse

luck,greg

jastutte

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would second greg on the dexcool in a DII only. the green stuff is what we need in our DI's.
I would be curious as to what reason the dealer gives for the dexcool in your DI.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM