Most fun I've had driving int he snow in a while

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mateored

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's not a better transmission, it is a better match for the new engine.

That's debatable. The new transmissions from ZF are supposed to be excellent and can be mapped to contribute to better performance and gas mileage with virtually any engine. Do you have any contrary information?

I agree that you need 8 speeds more for the new smaller engine than for the older bigger engine, but that doesn't mean it's not better. Since I haven't driven it in the LR4 yet, I'll reserve judgment. I will say that the ZF knob-shift tranny in the Jag XF shifts faster and smoother than my 2011 LR4 tranny.

mateored

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The removal of the two speed transfer case, along with the removal of the rock climbing ability.

My understanding is that the two speed transfer case is still available as an option, no?

I agree with you about less torque and power though. Up until 2011 or 2012, the Range Rover had virtually no advantage over the LR4, other than being more expensive and having nicer leather options. However, with the weight reduction to the RR and the reduction in power to the LR4, they have justified the differentiation in price. I think you can even get a (somewhat smaller) third row in the FFRR now.

I think they needed to do something to put more separation between the LR and RR. They also needed to address the mpg issue to remain more competitive. Remember, they still need to sell cars. I would have strongly preferred them to address the mpg issue with a clean diesel engine that produces mega-torque.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 2-speed transfer case is still available as an option, and the Heavy Duty package also includes the locking rear differential and a full size spare. The locking rear differential was an option prior to 2014 as well, and my guess is that it was the least popular option for the LR4. A 2010-2013 LR4 fitted with LRD was like a white fly, nearly impossible to find.

I actually think that removing low range from the LR4's set of standard features is a change for the better. The 2-speed box had always added needless cost, complexity and weight to a vehicle that 90% of customers would never dream of taking off pavement anyway. It offered zero advantages over the competition the LR4 was often put up against, such as similarly priced BMWs, MBs, Acuras, Lexus, etc. The LR4 can still make those vehicles look silly off road thanks to its superior ground clearance and sophisticated combination of 4-wheel drive and traction control / Terrain Response. It won't climb over rocks anymore without a low range, but how many owners really care about that? 1 out of 10 maybe.

At least now - 2014 and later - with the Heavy Duty pack you get the Full Monty (a low range AND rear lockers), and if you order one with the HD pack it's because you intend to use it.

The engine downsizing from NAV8 to SCV6 was, in my opinion, purely a marketing move so as not to make the upper crust Range Rover HSE and Range Rover Sport HSE appear less powerful than the LR4 on Land Rover's brochures. I was as disappointed in that decision as most here, and wish Land Rover had picked a better platform - a lighter one - before switching to a V6. Yet the SCV6 is still way more powerful than the 4.4L V8 used for years on the very off-road worthy LR3. So, it can't be that bad (haven't tried one yet, I'll have to reserve judgment until I do.)

I think dismissing the 2014 LR4 as a "neutered" Land Rover is a little unfair, as it can still be every bit as capable off road as earlier model years with the right options, and every bit as luxurious and comfortable on the road... Just a little less powerful and more high-strung from a stoplight than a 2013.

Last edited:

mateored

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You're right about the Heavy Duty package. I have one, but it took a couple of months to find one that I wanted!

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As to the motivation for going to the SCV6 all those sound like credible ideas. A dealer friend of mine told me that they wanted to go to only 2 engines - both supercharged. This of course to reduce cost and to simplify their manufacturing. That could be along with the marketing and perception reasons. The MPG improvement may be a bit better but they are still in the "heavy vehicle" class until they drop some serious weight. If they can do that without undermining the other goodness of the LR4 then I hope so and in a few years maybe I'll buy one.

As to the 2 speed transfer case, yes, it is part of the Heavy Duty option. I don't know if you can order it separately. That HD option includes, along with the 2 speed transfer case, the full size spare and the Rock Crawl mode and of course the differential locks. That is what I have ordered though I expect to do minimal rock crawling.

mateored

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know how much the HD package costs on the 2014, but for the 2011 it was a no-brainer. $750 for the locking diff and a full size spare. A new full-size wheel and tire is probably $500 by itself, so it was only $250 for the locker. I figure I might do some off-roading when this truck gets older, or it will improve the resale value down the line by more than $250 for someone who wants to go off-roading. The car was almost $70k as it was -- it didn't seem like the time to be cheap. The dealer told me I was one of the only people who ever requested the HD package, though.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My salesperson tried hard to talk me out of the HD pack! According to her I didn't really need it unless I "towed a boat" or something... Even after telling her I would off-road my LR4 often and I was coming out of a Sport which included rear lockers, she still wasn't convinced I knew what I was talking about. I had to special order my LR4 from the UK, as there were no LR4s with HD available anywhere in the Western states when I was looking (October 2012.)

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
$1350 for the Heavy Duty option on my LR4. Includes Twin-Speed Transfer Case, Electronic Locking Rear Differential, Rock Crawl Mode and Full Size Spare. This was the primary I had to order one. Which in the end will be OK with me as this way I am picking all the options and the colors we want. But it was strange that there were no HD-equipped to be found. Except for a maxed out Corris w/ Arabica LUX which also had the $3K 20" wheel upgrade.

umberto, did your sales person happen to look like the woman in the Cnet review of the LR4?

Matt

Reaction score
Matt, you forgot one qualifier. It should read, "To all that read this and are serious off roaders and aren't interested in things like Blind Spot Monitoring, ...".

I wouldn't argue with any of your points - for those such as yourself to whom things like the V8 and off roading, etc. are of primary importance. For me, I can't find a MY13 Lux w/ Vision Assist. I accept that there are pansies like me for whom "off roading" is what would be graded "Moderate" or "nothing over a 5 out of 10". And for whom there are other features that I will notice much more than the difference in torque and HP. The major reasons I want this vehicle are the following:
- The elevated seating position (driver and passenger) and large windows (for sightseeing)
- The spaciousness rear half of the car
- The windows and alpine roof and the way they create more light and the feeling of more space in the back half
- The configurability of the seating and the floor in the back.
- The adequate Nav and Voice system
- The "more luxury" interior
- The decent audio options
- The various Vision Assist capabilities
- The climate control package features
- The ability to raise it more ground clearance than my Acura MDX and the better approach and departure angles
- The off road and Terrain Response features for those occasional times when I do backroad touring on moderate roads.

As for power and torque, it is better than many vehicles and adequate for my needs.

Clearly, my needs and priorities a different than yours. Which is great! I would not choose 10% more HP and torque over the mix of features above. If I found an very clean, low mileage MY13 with an Almond interior and Bronze, White or Dark Grey then I would look at it. But I haven't seen any. So there you go. I'll get my MY14 and will be extremely happy as I explore Colorado and elsewhere. And I won't even miss the HP and torque.

Maybe in the future they will come out with a new, more properly equipped model targeting the off road enthusiast. They may favor the off road capabilities over the luxury and the "techie" stuff. They may even keep the price lower.

Hey Dan,

Trust me I did not forget any of these things, I own 2 LR4's. And in my humble opinion you left out one of the best reasons to own any year model. They look cool !!! It's hard to beat that sophisticated yet rugged look that LR has mastered with the body design. I happen to think LR nailed it with the LR4 exterior design. I even prefer it's looks over the Range Rover ( I had an 06).

Don't be so ******* yourself, buying an LR4 should neutralize any pansy tendencies you think you have.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72