Move on or Fix

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ian Morrison

Biffo 69
Reaction score
Hello,

I would love to get your collective opinion on my beloved 2005 LR3. It's now at 170,000 miles with a jerky transmission and dead fuel gauge along with some smaller DIY issues. It's going to be around a $7000 repair bill for transmission and installed new fuel sender units. The truck is obviously worth less- around $5-6K. But structurally and interior wise, it's still pretty good. Will need new tires in a year for $1500, maybe new air compressor for struts in a year or two. Aside from the brakes, anything else that I should be concerned about?
Will the engine last to 250K? or a rebuilt is in the foreseeable future?

Should I look for a newish Discovery or fix this one? Am I being sentimental and not wanting to move on from a truck that has served me well? Thanks.
Keep the Discovery3 and get the jobs that need doing repaired. You could by a late Discovery 3, A Discovery 4 or a later model but you won’t know what lies in store for you. If you have a good engine and everything except your known issues are in good condition the Discovery 3 will last you many more years. I’ve actually seen now three Discovery 3s with over 300000 miles on the clock. The owner of one of the Discoverys was picking his truck up from Land Rover after having his third Cambelt fitted with 312000 miles on the clock. This was a 2005 Discovery3 and the engine was still as good as when he first brought it in 2007.

SoCal66

Reaction score
I’ve been wrestling with this question too. My 2006 LR3 HSE has 141,000 miles on the clock. I bought it 18 months ago and have run into a few things since then that needed to be done. The past year has been a bit more costly than planned, but now I know quite a bit about the vehicle’s history and it runs really well. So I plan to hang on and enjoy it. I know the day will come to move on but not now. Thanks to everyone who chimed in on this thread.

to8nbeyond

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll add what we did. We had 160k on our 06 LR3. It had new tires and generally in good shape except the transmission had steadily gotten worse between 2nd and 1st gear. We couldn't find anything we really liked at the time so decided to put in a new transmission. It drives like it was new. We chalked it up to being cheaper than a new one for now. Not an easy decision for sure.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What do you mean specifically by getting worse between 2nd and 1st gear? What was it doing or not doing?

Taemian

Reaction score
Oh come on now! Lol you’re implying he’s lying or they are lying. You apparently don’t know squat about that crew so maybe think next time before ******** on one of the few good Indy shops.

The point being made is the LR3 are holding up with less major engine issues compared to LR4’s which have a ‘lucrative’ but more common engine repair.

That was my exact point in the other thread about the LR3/LR4 possible replacement, and I got dumped on by LR4 fanboys. It's not a **** if it's true. The mechanics at the LRJ dealership here always tells us they wants to buy ours if we ever sell it, told us " its the best version that everybody is looking for " (has cold weather, towing + HD package). The LR4s up here anyways, have been up on the hoist much more compared to LR3s when they were in service. The 3 had it's fair share of issues, absolutely. But the engine was rarely ever one of them.
THAT is what I was trying to say.

bbjj

Reaction score
Hello,

I would love to get your collective opinion on my beloved 2005 LR3. It's now at 170,000 miles with a jerky transmission and dead fuel gauge along with some smaller DIY issues. It's going to be around a $7000 repair bill for transmission and installed new fuel sender units. The truck is obviously worth less- around $5-6K. But structurally and interior wise, it's still pretty good. Will need new tires in a year for $1500, maybe new air compressor for struts in a year or two. Aside from the brakes, anything else that I should be concerned about?
Will the engine last to 250K? or a rebuilt is in the foreseeable future?

Should I look for a newish Discovery or fix this one? Am I being sentimental and not wanting to move on from a truck that has served me well? Thanks.
I would try doing the filter and fluid change, I ordered mines from British Atlantic. They have a conversion kit. Chances are you are, fluid is super low. Easy job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Davidb612

Reaction score
Im about to replace the solenoids on the valve body of my ‘06 Range rover supercharged 130k miles. My question is if I do that Do I have to reprogram the cpu/software? I order a kit of solenoids also the trans kit to flush it. Thanks for your help

Lr3tx

Reaction score
Update- compressor went out completely. Houm_WA jinxed me, LOL> JK, where do I order one from? I checked on amazon and they run about $250. Is that about right and what should I look for? thanks again for the encouragement.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well then since I'm on a roll I am going to impart some more wisdom! :)

Get a genuine no ******** AMK compressor.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72