My viscous coupler is locked up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

J

johnfenn

viscous drive coupler

My viscous coupler is locked up. The oil is dirty, the wheels slip, the car does not want to make sharp turns and the front tyres are wearing out.

Is there any quirky little things that wouyld cause this or is it just a great big expensive job.

Help!

John Fenn
First post

Slam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is actually a big job (most likely). Plan on replacing the transfer case. Try to find one used for cheaper $350-450 I think.

Did it recently lock up? Or has it been locked up for a while? If it has been locked up, then kiss it goodbye. I tried to replace a vc and the mechanics (three LR mechanics) all said the same thing.... It was almost welded together!!! They could not fix it. Good luck.

M

MikeMurphy

need some advice

I have a 95 LWB, 117KMiles (purchased used 6 years ago). I had to have the rear diff. replaced and am told I now need to replace the Viscous Coupler, Front Swivels & CV joints. Lots of $$$. I'm being told the reason the diff. failed and the CV joints failed is becasue the Viscous Coupler is not working.
Question, If I don't fix the Viscous Coupler and just to the CV joints and Swivels what will happen?

I don't understand what the Viscous Coupler does and how it impacts operations. The dealer wants to charge me $1200 for the Viscouls Coupler and the local mechanic that was going to repair the CV joints is not sure what the Viscous Coupler does.

Any comments welcome, thank you

Slam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The viscous coupler locks the differential. It is located inside of the transfer case. If you are an avid off-roader, fix the transfer case. Otherwise when one tire slips, your Rover will not move!

E

Ebooters

Hi which year is your Range Rover if its a classic its not to bad to change

D

discomike

You have to service these things religously if you want them to last. In the mean time, you might want to drop the front drive shaft so you don't continue to keep inflicting more damage to the rest of the system.
Mike J.

J

JackUnion

Hi Mike, on the 95 lwb you have it is not too bad a job to change the unit, you just remove the front propshaft and the housing is right there. What it does? it is an automatic locking diff which locks the front axle to the back axle basically for better traction. If you don't change it and just change the other stuff it will keep on knocking out your tires and put strain on the whole system.
It sounds to me like a fairly big list of stuff wrong on your truck?? both cv's gone at the same time???? both swivels gone??? and the v. coupling, your either the unluckiest man I know or theres some wool being pulled over your eyes. A good idea would be search around for some used parts and athough I proberbly shouldn't say this "any tech that doesn't know what a visc coupling is, should not be playing with RR's" in my opinion and you should maybe look for another shop for service.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72