Name that steering sound

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Skunkape

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We have a 06 SE with 53,000 miles on the odometer, and I have been taking it on the trails every couple of weeks. Love it. But have had the usual issues, LCA bushings; lower steering shaft (TSB), new battery and new starter replaced. Now I was backing out of a parking spot in access height and had to turn the steering wheel full right. Right before I hit full lock, I heard a noise, really horrible metallic noise, like mashing an empty coffee can into a bench grinder as hard as you can. It only makes the noise in access height while turning the wheel rapidly to the right. Any thoughts on the root cause of the noise? Thanks in advance.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
since you're stock that rules out any rubbing, I'd think...unless maybe you have something loose in one of the wheel wells. Do you have mud flaps?

Skunkape

Full Access Member
Reaction score
since you're stock that rules out any rubbing, I'd think...unless maybe you have something loose in one of the wheel wells. Do you have mud flaps?

No mud flaps, It will make the noise when tires are not rotating. I can only think it has to do with loading up the swaybar or control arm, or the steering rack gear.

Mach1s

Reaction score
I would check the upper control arm to make sure it is not rubbing on the aluminum air bag can. You may have some damage from wheeling that you don't know about.

Skunkape

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. If you remember the next time your in access mode you can spin turn the steering wheel to the right, as if you needed to back into a parallel parking space and see if it makes an unmistakable, horrible noise and report back.

I will try and stay away from full lock until i get near a dealer

Skunkape

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, searching the disco3uk forums, I think I might be on to somthing. I need to grease my steering bump stops. Does anyone know where and how?

thorgal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Skankape...

I just read about those bump stops at disco forum, remember , that you have two sets of them at each wheel,front of lower control arm ..and back , also grease the touching points too.Noise might come back some time , but it will be very low and usually at access height

techboydino

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, searching the disco3uk forums, I think I might be on to somthing. I need to grease my steering bump stops. Does anyone know where and how?

I do mine at every oil change. It is indeed a horrible noise, but simply greasing the stops is all it takes.

Skunkape

Full Access Member
Reaction score
follow up

Thanks.... and you gave very good advice

remember , that you have two sets of them at each wheel,front of lower control arm ..and back , also grease the touching points too.height

I managed to go out to garage tonight and put the LR3 into off road height and turn the wheels to full lock, both directions and grease the steering stops (all four of them) and the contact points. sure enough no more noise....Yea

But here is the deal, the points are covered with a plastic cap, the cap wears through and you have a metal on metal contact point. The mating point is "V" shaped which pretty much acts like a file to the steering stops. I don't think they were ever designed to be greased.
Oh well its simple to grease them and swmbo will not complain about scaring the children when she backs out of the garage...full lock right

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Disco2TrailEdit4