Nav Volume - new variation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vhousad

Reaction score
I have seen previous postings regarding how to adjust volume of the navigation guidance, although I am experiencing what seems to be a strange variation of the issue. My understanding is that when instructions are being recited, I should at that point adjust the volume level to set the 'offset' relative to music volume. I get that concept although it does not seem to get the job done.

The first nuance that seems to be of relevance is that my system 'speaks' to me in different language settings...actual navigation instructions such as 'turn left now' are spoken in a British accent although when help instructions are requested (i.e. - in response to NAVIGATION HELP command), they are given in an American accent. I couldn't care less that they are different although the point of interest is that when I turn the volume dial when listening to the help commands, the offset seems to work as expected - if I call up the help instructions again, they are communicated at the same relative volume. The British nav-lady (heard with actual navigation instructions) is not as kind. No matter how I adjust the dial when being given instructions, the next time she speaks up, it is at an annoyingly loud level.

Anyone else ever come across this one? Thoughts on how to get my British friend to tone down her voice?
Thanks!

CaptainSpalding

Explorer
Reaction score
Sorry for the resurrection of an old thread. I too am experiencing my nav system volume behaving in a way to which I am not accustomed.

Previously I have always successfully adjusted the nav volume by using the volume knob while the nav system was speaking. Today, when the nav was speaking, the voice blared at me, so I turned the volume down while the voice was talking. The next time she spoke, the volume was blaring loud again. Lowering the volume only seems to work on the current voice command, and on the subsequent command, the voice is too loud again.

Any thoughts?

baobay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try to adjust the volume in the settings menu. I think you push the tone hard key once and you get to menu where you can adjust the volume. I don't know of you've tried that.

CaptainSpalding

Explorer
Reaction score
Try to adjust the volume in the settings menu. I think you push the tone hard key once and you get to menu where you can adjust the volume. I don't know of you've tried that.
Thanks for that head's up. I had a chance to test it out today.

I may be way off, but it seems to me that the adjustments made in the menu (the one brought up with the tone key) are not absolute, but relative to the radio volume. There's no mention in the manual of this that I could find.

A couple of days ago I installed an iPod nano and genuine cable as mentioned in other posts. I discovered that it is important to have the volume on the iPod turned up at around 75% or above. If it's lower, and you must adjust the volume higher with the LR4 stereo volume knob, the nav voice will shout at you, and when you turn it down, it will not stay down. I discovered this after lowering the nav voice all the way on the adjustment screen and having it still yell at me. I turned up the volume on the iPod and down with the dash knob, and all was well.

baobay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for that head's up. I had a chance to test it out today.

I may be way off, but it seems to me that the adjustments made in the menu (the one brought up with the tone key) are not absolute, but relative to the radio volume. There's no mention in the manual of this that I could find.

A couple of days ago I installed an iPod nano and genuine cable as mentioned in other posts. I discovered that it is important to have the volume on the iPod turned up at around 75% or above. If it's lower, and you must adjust the volume higher with the LR4 stereo volume knob, the nav voice will shout at you, and when you turn it down, it will not stay down. I discovered this after lowering the nav voice all the way on the adjustment screen and having it still yell at me. I turned up the volume on the iPod and down with the dash knob, and all was well.

Yes, I do keep my iPod volume level at max. Just remember when you use it with headphones the next time to lower the volume.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635