Need a second opinion on diagnosis

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SkyTree

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Testing in neutral won’t rule out the transmission heat shield bracket. It will only vibrate like this under light load while in gear - like mild acceleration on take off. It will not usually make the noise in neutral. But, if you get the same noise under a brake torque with no rotation of the wheel, I believe that would rule out the transfer case.

The heat shield bracket is a known issue on the 2016’s, and sounds exactly like the linked video. I’d put money on it.
Good info, @jlglr4! [emoji106]
I'm mostly familiar with the 2010-13, 5.0L V8 LR4s, not so much 2014 onward, so I'd take your word for it over my guessing.

I've heard transfer cases sound like that on other (non-Rover) trucks, so that's my only reference, but I hope it's something simpler/cheaper like what you shared, that's for sure.

SkyTree

Tbh1981

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for providing the TSB. I had a look at it, seems pretty straightforward.

Another member shared with me the shop manuals and diagrams for the LR4 so I feel prepared to tackle anything that might go wrong.

This is an excellent forum so far.

Tbh1981

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks to the advice in this thread, I was able to confirm that this noise is from the heat shield bracket. I did this by climbing a long hill, maintaining 1100 rpm. Right at 1100 rpm the noise started, and as long as I stayed between 11 and 1200 rpm, the noise was constant.

I looked under the vehicle and the passenger side front bracket mounting point was cracked. I'm going to do add some thin foam pads as suggested in the TSB and that should take care of it.

Thank you all!

David Ce

Reaction score
Have no idea what it could be but to me it sounded like either something electronic activating or a very high speed vibration.

Tbh1981

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have no idea what it could be but to me it sounded like either something electronic activating or a very high speed vibration.

If you look through the rest of the thread, you'll see the problem was diagnosed and a repair is pending.

Michael Gain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The TSB calls for the replacement of the heat shield bracket and adding the foam--i tried just foam as well and it does not fix the problem. EBay has the bracket pretty cheap.

Thanks to the advice in this thread, I was able to confirm that this noise is from the heat shield bracket. I did this by climbing a long hill, maintaining 1100 rpm. Right at 1100 rpm the noise started, and as long as I stayed between 11 and 1200 rpm, the noise was constant.

I looked under the vehicle and the passenger side front bracket mounting point was cracked. I'm going to do add some thin foam pads as suggested in the TSB and that should take care of it.

Thank you all!

Tbh1981

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The TSB calls for the replacement of the heat shield bracket and adding the foam--i tried just foam as well and it does not fix the problem. EBay has the bracket pretty cheap.

Aw, bummer. I was hoping to be semi-lazy and refuse the bracket.

Oh well, thank you for saving me some time.

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA