need help with dealer-speak: "F & R Coolant Manifolds - Failed/critical"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

aged

Reaction score
trying to help a family member interpret vague Rover dealer service quote for this one line item with no add'l detail for 2016 LR4

F & R Coolant Manifolds for ~$3000

I have no idea what this precisely means

Front and Rear (on engine, or perhaps Front and Rear heating systems)

Fix and Replace

I tried keyword search in LR4 parts listings but no direct hits on Coolant Manifold, or visuals of entire cooling system.

There was no further supporting detail, no parts cost, parts description, listing of symptoms or motivation, nothing but this one line.

I realize this is a longshot with little input, but any ideas or guidance is appreciated.

Dealer also quoted ~$2600 to replace corroded rear brake lines - seems pretty spendy to me - if it were me, I wwould likely just fabricate new lines out of copper+nickel so that at least the new ones would not corrode from salt, etc.

Manndolins

Reaction score
Front and rear coolant manifolds or crossover pipes..plastic pipes prone to failing.. front one is under front of intake manifold..back one is at rear of engine …most of cost is labor.

aged

Reaction score
thanks @Manndolins - that was just the clue I needed.

the parts seem to be called Heater Manifolds in the Rover parts listings.

Failure of these plastic parts does appear quite common. The forward manifold is under the intake manifold it appears, and it seems like the rearward manifold may need the intake out of the way in order to get reasonable access. I have never worked on this car or engine, but I wonder if leakage under the intake becomes a threat given the supercharger and all - no idea.

For 2016 LR4 HSE with 3.0 Supercharged engine, these appear to be the two part numbers (based on my digging, but I could be wrong):

LR087558 for the front of the engine under the intake

LR122710 for the back of engine

I am not a fan of the use of plastic for such things, but maybe I'm too old school.

I am going to suggest a cooling system pressure test to the car owner just to confirm leakage. I don't see how the dealer possibly inspected the front manifold when they made this service recommendation while performing courtesty wiper blade assessment. But if either manifold is going to be replaced, all of the related plastic cooing items should like get changed out while the patient is on the table.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First and foremost, advise your family member to find a good independent mechanic. The dealer should only be used for warranty work.

The front manifold should be replaced around every 60 to 70k miles. Probably replace the water pump at the same time, as it's 90% of the same work. The rear manifold every 100k miles or so.

The front is common enough of a problem that the dealer knows to check it as a routine checkup. Failure of the item generally means a new engine if the owner doesn't pull off the road immediately and turn off the engine.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV