Need Quick Opinons

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
David...the Zeons will fit. I don't think they have optional % as far as sidewall. I don't remember the aspect ratio whether it's 60 or 65 but whatever it is for the 285 series, it fits. Like people have said you might have to move the wire bundle, but they will fit.

...if you aren't going to be offroad very much or in very serious terrain or in snow a lot, you might want to just go with somethin else. You seem to be hesitant.

davidfkon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ya . . . just checkin . . . I'm new to this and don't wanna f-up $600-$800 in tires . . . thanks for all the info . . .

I have always been a motorcycle guy who just leases a 4 wheel machine 'cause sometimes it rains eal hard - never cared about anything w/4 wheels . . . NOW I have been converterd and LOVE my beast!!

was wondering how a 265 drives different then a 285 and how sidewal ratio affects driving . . .

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well...it WILL effect it. Personally, I have preferred to have a separate set of tires for wheelin' but if you can't do that, go middle of the road (like all-terrain) with a size that will fit fine. If you don't have a low garage to park in and can sacrifice some turning ability in access height, the Zeons are great. There are also many alternatives in the 18" size. Check out Nathan Woods' blog and go on about your way. You are really deliberating about this too much now.

Make a choice!

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
David...the Zeons will fit. I don't think they have optional % as far as sidewall. I don't remember the aspect ratio whether it's 60 or 65 but whatever it is for the 285 series, it fits. Like people have said you might have to move the wire bundle, but they will fit.

...if you aren't going to be offroad very much or in very serious terrain or in snow a lot, you might want to just go with somethin else. You seem to be hesitant.

Must not be 285/65 x18 because there is no tire in that size that "fits" the lr3 as almost every companies sizing comes in around 32.5" +/- on diameter which does not fit lr3's period. It's a stretch to go 265/65 and everyone knows they rub inside both rear fenders in the front and inside both front wheel against the weird steel plate at 3 o'clock on the driver's side (same spot on both sides) as well as inside the front abr bumper cover panels at full lock.

31.7" is right at the maximum size by 265 width. Or, you can go to the 285 width with 60 profile for a wider contact patch, not by much but Nitto Terra Grapplers in 285/60 look pretty cool as they do have just a little more width to them than something in the 265 width.

Lr3's don't need width though, they need height so why not go with the tallest tire you can fit, i.e. narrower.

Spacers only make the matter worse at all points except straight driving.

I don't know why anyone would be so concerned with the handling characteristics of the difference b/n 60 and 65 profile though!? It's not like it's a 20" rim with a 275/45! That, you can feel but it's going another route that doesn't really need discussion.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
will the zeon 285s fit on the stock 260 10 spoke rim? Also, for sidewall aspect . . . best % . . . ? seems like most are 65 or so . . .

Sure they will "fit" but it isn't the ideal manufacturer width, even though it's in the range. This will of course affect the handling slightlybecause you are wrapping a tire that prefers a wider rim like 9" where the 18" rover rim is not. The 20" rims are 9" wide or 9.5 depending on which ones so all the way around, the 265/65x18 is simply the best largest ratio combo.

Just like old discos, the D1 had best handling on something narrower like a 235/70 or 247/75 x16, the d2 wider using tires similar in width to the lr3 but not as tall stock.

This doesn't mean you can't fit wider tires but it will be at a loss of overall handling and cornering stability.

For example, the Mercedes G wagon amg model (up to 2008) uses 18" rims that are 9" or 9.5" wide allowing a nice stock size tire that is considerably wider than our lr3's are designed to ride on. On the G you can fit a 285/65x18 right off the dealer lot and hardly notice any difference at all. You can go straight to the next upsize as well, all on stock rims and suspension. This is because the wide rim allows a nice "square" installed tire cross section and not all bloated out like so many people like to do with their jeeps, discos, and land cruisers (it's looks cool and is great off road, but is otherwise less than ideal as an all-around tire shape)

davidfkon

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Promise this will be the last question: I found a 265/60/18 and a 265/65/18 . . . other then the load index going from 109 to 112 (seems very good . . .) how would the hande/respond differently?
:creep:

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
man....I don't really know on that one. Obviously they are the same width but one is taller. I'm not sure how that translates to handling, especially at speed. I run stock-sized tires 95% of the time.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Promise this will be the last question: I found a 265/60/18 and a 265/65/18 . . . other then the load index going from 109 to 112 (seems very good . . .) how would the hande/respond differently?
:creep:

You will not be able to notice that sidewall difference. More important would be the actual casing design. If the tires are truly equal, just run the one that suits your NEEDS not what you think will be some immeasurable handling characteristic.

Now think about this point - what are your NEEDS?

If you are going off road (which can mean many things - is it crazy trails, mud, snow, deep snow but on what would otherwise be basic gravel road/trails? etc)

My 265/65x18 tires rub into the thin ARB bumper fender side panels with no articulation when I turn full lock. They rub the rear wheel well front inside face when at full articulation, but only rub, they are shredding it because when in that situation, i'm not flooring it, I'm being slow as she goes.

now, if you want the most deep snow ability, then go with the narrower width or height. A 60 profile may be just enough to give you no issue with real chains (like Rud 4x4)which in deep snow would make the lr3 nearly unstoppable.

The speed rating, how fast do you plan to drive an lr3....?

I like the tires I use also because their design and rating allows higher air pressure which helps the highway speed handling with it being so heavy. That difference you can feel. 42 psi vs 60 psi makes a big difference driving at 70 mph through canyon roads fully loaded but these E range tires are rated for 80 psi.

davidfkon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks jwest . . . 90% on road - (hate to say it but just starting to go off-road) that being said - looking to start to go w/SCLR (cleghorn, etc) once a month as a start - I was more interested in the Load increase (109-112) when going from 60 to 65

gotta admit . . . I am a COMPLETE novice w/regards to tires . . .

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635