new 18" wheel from Lucky8 offoad?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iSurfvilano

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You are extremely limited in choice for 19" off-road tires. What I can say is, what are you looking for when you say "aggressive"? I drive in sand almost exclusively, and it's an an entirely different beast when it comes to tire selection. You don't want anything that will dig you in (muds and blocky AT tires are the worst). In sand, you want float to stay on top of the sand. This means more surface area contact via very low tire pressures and the more tire contact with the sand, the better.

Most Land Cruisers run on balloon tires out here, where they are big & round and nearly slicks. The next best thing would honestly be a well worn street tire. Finally, there are some sand tires out there but nothing in your size. I used to run Nitto Dune Grapplers, but they discontinued our size in 18s.

Just curious, what psi are you airing down to? That is going to make a massive difference, even on stock Contis. On stock tires, I was running anywhere between 20-25 psi, depending how loaded the truck was. On my Dune Grapplers, I was at 15-18psi. Sand mode on, traction control off.

The Baja ATZ P3s I was running on my jeep are what I consider a great aggressive tire for the sand we have here in North Beach. In the strip of coastline I drive it's more of a shell sandbar than a sugar sand or other fine-sand beach. It's a mixture of coarse thick/sticky blackish sand along with dense shell clusters along with soft mushy sand pockets. So the terrain makeup can vary from mud like to gravelish to soft sand throughout the course of a couple miles.

In regards to air/psi in my tires, in the 7 years I've been driving these beaches I only try to air down when I'm driving at night, after a storm where the sand shifts or I see an obstacle...Honestly, I try to get stuck as much as possible in different situations so that I can figure out how to get out of a pinch by just using a shovel and a set of maxtraxs. The first time I ever got stuck when I moved here was a lesson learned and I now do my best to make sure I know how to get out the sand quickly and by myself...But, when I do air out I usually take the contis down to 25.

I'm really liking RoverMans setup with those wheels and am pretty set on getting 18s now. But if spacers work on LR3 rims, couldn't I get any aftermarket 18" rim with spacers?

Last edited:

jaguardoc504

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was waiting a long time for these but the fact they require a spacer or a caliper shave (30mm shave too?) was a great disappointment.

Just fitted a set to a friends LR4, without spacers.
We had to shave maybe 2-3 mm (MAX) off of each caliper in various spots. most of the time we just smooth the casting and the wheel fit without issue.
Also he got the set from Terrafirma (not sure who the OEM is though), for about $160/wheel. and I think Atlantic British has them even cheaper (http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/TF152).
They seem strong, and offer a different appearance for sure.
I guess it was only a matter of time before out vehicle went from Luxury Off Roaders, to something more common with the steel wheels being available now :(

I do like that more and more aftermarkets parts are becoming available.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Makes me wonder how much grinding is really needed to fit 18" LR3 wheels. Scott Brady was taking a swing at it on his ExPo LR4, but thought it was going to take too much (either that, or he considered the liability of recommending that people take a grinder to their brake calipers).

jaguardoc504

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Makes me wonder how much grinding is really needed to fit 18" LR3 wheels. Scott Brady was taking a swing at it on his ExPo LR4, but thought it was going to take too much (either that, or he considered the liability of recommending that people take a grinder to their brake calipers).

Justin from Lucky8 did some video tutorial, on their Instagram page https://www.instagram.com/lucky8offroad/?hl=en , on how much had to be removed.
Wish i took pictures of when we did it.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635