new 18" wheel from Lucky8 offoad?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

eljefe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
did anyone see the new steel wheel 18" offering from lucky8? it will fit lr4 but requires a spacer.
The cost per wheel is $200.00. the had a video today on their facebook page. I am not sure if I should look for other more attractive wheels or maybe go for these.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So the choice for LR4 owners is adding 30 mm spacers OR shaving the calipers a little? Mmm... Does not compute.

Also, I understand that steel wheels are all about function over form, they are inexpensive and it's always great to have more choices, but... Hot damn, those are some fugly wheels. :puke: Perhaps they'll look better mounted on the car.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Spacers don't effect wheel bearings any more than a wheel with
So the choice for LR4 owners is adding 30 mm spacers OR shaving the calipers a little? Mmm... Does not compute.

Also, I understand that steel wheels are all about function over form, they are inexpensive and it's always great to have more choices, but... Hot damn, those are some fugly wheels. :puke: Perhaps they'll look better mounted on the car.

The spacers or grind conundrum is the same story with the 18" Land Rover wheels. Scott Brady was initially going to grind to use the LR 18's on the Expo Portal LR4, but decided he was going to have to grind too much for his liking and went the spacer route--he said it could be done, he just didn't want to do it. If these require less grinding than the LR 18's, it could be a viable option.

Oh, and what's gold for some isn't for others, and vice versa. I think these wheels look a lot better than the Compmotives, which have always looked way too boy-racer for my liking, especially with the obnoxious logo on the spoke. It's the main reason why I'm still rolling on my 19" wheels: don't like the way the compmotives look, and don't like the idea of spacers with the LR 18's (even though I have a set of 5 of those wheels in my basement.)

I'd like to know (1) how much these new steel wheels weigh, (2) how much grinding is required to get them to fit on an LR4, and (3) whether these steelies are compatible with the TPMS.

Last edited:

AxelR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Steelies are steelies. Nothing to them and easy to bend. Used by lots of people in the winter due to potholes and ability to fix them when they're bent for cheap.

In addition, had they been specifically designed for the LR4, they wouldn't need spacers.

The Compomotive might look boy racer to you but they are rims built for racing. See the Bowler EXR.
http://www.bowlermotorsport.com/vehicles/exr/

You can also look up Compomotive history and see that they have a strong heritage in rally racing, rally raid and other motor sports...

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Steelies are steelies. Nothing to them and easy to bend. Used by lots of people in the winter due to potholes and ability to fix them when they're bent for cheap.

In addition, had they been specifically designed for the LR4, they wouldn't need spacers.

The Compomotive might look boy racer to you but they are rims built for racing. See the Bowler EXR.
http://www.bowlermotorsport.com/vehicles/exr/

You can also look up Compomotive history and see that they have a strong heritage in rally racing, rally raid and other motor sports...

I am aware of their history, but that isn't what my post was about. My post was about how they look.

If you love them? Great, more power to you. I won't fault anyone for buying them and loving them and reading all about the history of the brand by the nearest campfire. I just don't like the way they look nearly as much as I like the way a stock LR wheel looks, and not as much as these new steel wheels look.

crash1121

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Spacers don't effect wheel bearings any more than a wheel with

That won't dissuade me from my opinion on spacers, unless you can back it up. I've run aggressive spacers (yes, properly mounted/torqued) on two of my cars, and dealt with premature bearing failure. Not sure if LR's bearings are indestructible in comparison to Audi's, but in my mind, having aggressive spacers on an already ~6k lb truck, all packed up and loaded, taking on washboard roads and rocky trails will have some sort of effect on bearing life. Please prove my logic wrong.

Last edited:

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am thinking that, if the calipers need just a close shave like Lucky8 seems to imply in that Facebook video, why the need for a chunky, 1.25" spacer to clear them? It's got to be more than a little shave, but we will see.

The LR3/4 wheel bearings / hubs are troublesome enough without spacers.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well this thread is a downer. I didn't think about my hubs wearing out faster with the spacers. On the plus side, maybe they will go while I'm still under warranty, instead of at 100,000 like usual! Has anyone with spacers ever mentioned premature wear? If so, I haven't seen it. And can it really be much more harmful than the Compos with the bigger offset?

Everything else considered, I love the look of the spacers on 18' LR rims and BFGs.

AxelR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't see any mention of these wheels being DOT approved. They most likely are off-road only.
Granted the Compos are probably not DOT approved either (but might attract less attention from law enforcement).

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99